PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install a program on Ubuntu

dragonball
February 4th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hi
My company used to use Windows in thier computers and i am trying to convince them to use Ubuntu Linux :D

But we have one problem :
the provider of the internet for us ( in our company) use a special program to do loginning and get access to the internet..
I tried to install the program on live verion of Ubuntu but i couldnot ... can you please tell me how to install it ( on live version ) ?

Note : I attached the file

Thank you

jimmy the saint
February 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Here are instructions

http://kb.cyberoam.com/default.asp?id=372&Lang=1&SID=

dragonball
February 5th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Thank you so much
But i have one problem :(
i extracted the file in F partion , But i dont know how to reach F partion through terminal !!
in MS-DOS i used to write F: and press enter
what is the equivalent in Linux :KS ??

Thank Again

feelshift
February 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
sudo fdisk -l
Determine which partition is your F (you should recognize it by size). Then create an empty folder, and
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdaX /where/you/created/the/folder If the partition is FAT32, replace ntfs-3g with vfav. Note that /dev/sdaX must be replaced with you F partition (example: /dev/sda5 or /dev/hda3).

Calmor
February 5th, 2009, 02:55 PM
There is no "F partition" in linux - everything is a file, and you can mount a physical partition to almost anywhere in the file structure. For example, I have my Vista partition mounted as /mnt/Vista, so I can cd /mnt/Vista and be at what Windows would call C:\.

What command or series of clicks did you perform to extract the .tar.gz file?

Also, not to be discouraging, but before trying to do something as complex as migrating even a small company from Windows to Linux, make sure you understand both Linux and the full scope of the company's computer usage. If you're the one pushing for the transition, everyone will be coming to you when their computer doesn't work the way they think it should (being Windows users), or when they find out a program that they need to do their job every day doesn't have an open-source alternative.

dragonball
February 5th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you feelshift for the information :)
and by the way Metallica Ruleeeeeeee

There is no "F partition" in linux - everything is a file, and you can mount a physical partition to almost anywhere in the file structure. For example, I have my Vista partition mounted as /mnt/Vista, so I can cd /mnt/Vista and be at what Windows would call C:\.

What command or series of clicks did you perform to extract the .tar.gz file?

Also, not to be discouraging, but before trying to do something as complex as migrating even a small company from Windows to Linux, make sure you understand both Linux and the full scope of the company's computer usage. If you're the one pushing for the transition, everyone will be coming to you when their computer doesn't work the way they think it should (being Windows users), or when they find out a program that they need to do their job every day doesn't have an open-source alternative.

Calmor thank you for the great tips ;)
so there is no partion in Linux every thing is a file , but still cannot imagine how to reach a file in F: partion !!

and about how i extracted the .tar.gz file :
1- I get the file for the internet
2- I copy the file to F: partion ( using windows )
3- I lunched Linux Ubuntu using Live CD
4- I extracted the file by right click and select extract ( from Linux )
5- and now i am trying to Lunch it ;)

By the way my partion works in FAT32

So how to mount my partion ? is there a website or something to learn me how to do it ?

Thank you so much

feelshift
February 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM
This command is for mounting partitions:
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdaX /where/you/created/the/folder

Flimm
February 5th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Click on Places, Computer. Your "F:" partition should be there, although it won't be called 'F:'. Double-click on it to mount it.