PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation using live cd just stops midway.

newg
February 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi, I've finally decided to make the change to linux, and have chosen ubuntu.

Iburned the cd at a slow speed, and when I run the check tool when I boot from cd, everything reports fine, no errors.

However, either installing in the live desktop or by just selecting 'install ubuntu' from the startup menu I only get about halfway.

after the point in the install process where i pick my keyboard settings, i click next, and a little box pops up with a progress bar 'starting partitioner' this quickly disappears, and i'm left on the keyboard settings screen, with the 'working' cursor icon, and nothing else happens, it just stays that way indefinitely. I can still use firefox and browse the live desktop, but the installer progresses no further.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Bablefish
February 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I know this sounds dumb, try hooking that computer up to the net. It worked for one guy I know.

newg
February 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
im on that computer right now, posting from the live desktop. the installer is still at he same stage in the background.

Hooya
February 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Can you see your hard drives from the Live CD?

Without the installer running try running gparted and see what comes up. There might be an issue with the live CD locating your drives if that's the point it stalls at.

newg
February 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Can you see your hard drives from the Live CD?

Without the installer running try running gparted and see what comes up. There might be an issue with the live CD locating your drives if that's the point it stalls at.

it sticks at 'scanning all devices' and nothing happens

edit: scratch that, it's found the drive.

newg
February 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Nevermind :)

I'm not really tech savvy so I think this is going to be too much for me. I might try again in future if Windows gives me any huge problems, but at the moment it's just a little slow, and I can live with that.

thanks for your help thus far, I appreciate it, bye :)