PDA

View Full Version : What we want from Linux and his projects

Maya-PSK
February 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hi to all , the question is :
What do you want from Linux and his projects?
So..What I want from Linux and his projects?
1) I want a full hardware support but maybe that is impossible because a lot of company don't release his driver for Linux.
For example: I've just bought a Sony NWZ-S639f but it isn't supported yet for using with Amarok.I've tried to recompile libmtp but Sony NWZ-S639f doesn't work.
2) I want a good software for editing video,there isn't nothing like Adobe Premiere.I've tried Cinelerra and Kdenlive but they doesn't support all videocameras and they haven't a lot of functions.
3) I want that projects are be followed.A lot of projects are be gave up.
4) I want that the developer ask to himself "What people want?" and not "What I want to essay or what I want"

Sorry for my English. ;)

Maya-PSK

billgoldberg
February 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Linux is a kernel.

Ubuntu is the OS (using the linux kernel).

An OS manufacturer or kernel manufacturer doesn't write applications, that's done by a whole different lot.

If they don't feel like keep developing the application, others could pick up where they left (if it's open source).

Full hardware support isn't possible, there isn't one OS on the world that has that.

--

But I know what you mean, it would be nice to have more hardware support (even though everything I have is supported).

A kick *** video editor would be great. Or at least perfect the ones that are available now.

On my Arch linux system, not one of all the Linux video editors works (segfault errors, ...).

binbash
February 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Linux is a kernel.

Ubuntu is the OS (using the linux kernel).

An OS manufacturer or kernel manufacturer doesn't write applications, that's done by a whole different lot.

If they don't feel like keep developing the application, others could pick up where they left (if it's open source).

Full hardware support isn't possible, there isn't one OS on the world that has that.

--

But I know what you mean, it would be nice to have more hardware support (even though everything I have is supported).

A kick *** video editor would be great. Or at least perfect the ones that are available now.

On my Arch linux system, not one of all the Linux video editors works (segfault errors, ...).

Ubuntu is not OS, it is a distro.And linux is not a kernel it is an OS which is based on linux kernel.

mhh91
February 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Ubuntu is not OS, it is a distro.And linux is not a kernel it is an OS which is based on linux kernel.

linux IS a kernel :)

hyperdude111
February 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Linux is a kernel and ubuntu is an OS that runs the linux kernel.

From ubuntu i want
A decent theme.
Codecs pre-installed
A huge speed boost.

aeacides
February 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I think Linux needs time a little. Some years ago some basic feature weren't really good. Now it's a lot better, and a market is growing up (ok ok it's free, but let's say PEOPLE using Linux).

It takes time to do a software. Doing it by your own (let's say a video editor ) takes a few years. Since video cards and hardware are getting more supported, I hope there will be some project emerging, or let's hope Adobe sees an opportunity with Linux since they are re-writting their product for Mac (sorry can't find the official reference).

Anyway, for Linux itself, hardware/driver, gpgpu, and speed optimization
are the one that I expect the most for upcoming years.

Themes needs also lot's of work ... :popcorn:

EDIT: Here's the link ... http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html But it seems that it's only for Mac, and it looks like a huge mess to rewrite some part of it :-/

Sealbhach
February 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
3) I want that projects are be followed.A lot of projects are be gave up.

Yes, that is true - sometimes it's just the natural selection of software in action. It must also happen with commercial software. But perhaps one solution to stopping really useful projects being discontinued is to make money from them?