PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation doesn't work

tneva82
February 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Burned cdrom, booted, tried to install and the orange bar never goes away. Cdrom is read but that's it.

Download alternative installer, burn it, try it. Now there's no orange bar but instead steady stream of error messages like this:

[24.596296 (number changes each line)] END_REQUEST: I/O ERROR, DEV SR0, LOGICAL BLOCK changing_number

So what's wrong. CD is burned badly(twice?), ISO file damaged or maybe dvd drive isn't working(wouldn't be first time. Last drive I had to replace to new one since last stopped working so wouldn't suprise if this has broken down already).

avtolle
February 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Did you check the md5sum of the iso before burning? Burn as an image at low speed (4x is what I use). Sometimes, the medium to which the iso is burned matters; CD-R is what my hardware likes (of course it is older). These are a few things to check, along with the CD integrity check at the opening menu.

avtolle
February 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=999549 is a thread dealing with a similar problem.

tneva82
February 5th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah MD5 checksum showed fine.

However problem dissapeared in pretty strange way...Burned new CD with new program and with lot slower speed(in case that helps). I start and...Same error messages. Darn! There's message about USB so I turn computer around to see if there's USB memory stick there(just in case). No luck so I push power button but finger slip. I hear cd drive opening and closing and hey presto installation begins.

Go figure what happened there. But Ubuntu was installed succesfully so I'm not complaining!

Edit: However there's slight problem. Maybe somebody can answer here so there's no need to create new thread elsewhere. Anyway for some reason backspace button doesn't work as "go to last page" in firefox as in windows. Very annoying and slows down web browsing. Where I could customise that? Tried to look system-preferences->keyboard and of course firefox settings but didn't see anything that would seem to fit.