conference calls were held to work out how to move forward. The minutes
of these conference calls have already been published, but no official
statements have been made, until now."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzAzNg

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2009-February/003284.html

lykwydchykyn
February 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Good news.

This is a good object lesson for those new to the ups and downs of FOSS. Last month everyone was proclaiming the death of compiz on the basis of some overhyped media reporting. Surprise surprise, people can work out their differences and come together to make something great even better.

mcduck
February 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
That's nice, although I'm starting to feel that the only way Compiz project gets anything done is that people get tired of it's slow progress, fork it, develop new stuff, Compiz guys get jealous and start discussing about merging the projects together again, after some discussion people come to agreement and when projects are succesfully merged development grinds to halt again and the whole process repeats.. ;)

Johnsie
February 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Mental stability is great. Let's hope they can reflect mental stability by keeping the name of their application stable.

klange
February 4th, 2009, 06:20 PM
We have yet to make an official announcement on the subject.

Please hold your comments until such time that we have released a proper notice through official and monitored channels.

e: Official announcement (http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?p=70633#post70633).

speedwell68
February 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
That's nice, although I'm starting to feel that the only way Compiz project gets anything done is that people get tired of it's slow progress, fork it, develop new stuff, Compiz guys get jealous and start discussing about merging the projects together again, after some discussion people come to agreement and when projects are succesfully merged development grinds to halt again and the whole process repeats.. ;)

All of this for something that's only practicle purpose is impressing Windows fanboys.

Giant Speck
February 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM
All of this for something that's only practicle purpose is impressing Windows fanboys.

Not really. And what does practicle mean? A practical particle? :p

speedwell68
February 5th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Not really. And what does practicle mean? A practical particle? :p

The same as practical, in english it is spelt both ways.:D We spell things properly in England you know: colour harbour labour favourite through.:D

Anyway, rather than holding a spelling contest, what use is Compiz really? I know it is very impressive for the first hour. I also know it slows my PC down. It is great for eye candy fans, but a simplistic and good looking desktop is much better.

rootie
February 5th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I sit in front of my XP workstation 8+ hours a day. My Ubuntu laptop is impractical. Compiz fits perfectly on it... :p

SunnyRabbiera
February 5th, 2009, 03:22 AM
but moving away from freedesktop, could be a major controversy there.

klange
February 5th, 2009, 03:59 AM
but moving away from freedesktop, could be a major controversy there.
They never really did anything for us (in fact, some of our most important requests for changes in the X server have gone unanswered, even with working code put down in front of them).

Plus, we want to centralize our git repos and bug trackers to one location - our own server.

Of note, the new Compiz can run without compositing or OpenGL, and we're working on the halfway-point (XRender 2D compositing isn't in there yet), the point being to give various productivity effects without the overhead of an OpenGL environment.

hanzomon4
February 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
The same as practical, in english it is spelt both ways.:D We spell things properly in England you know: colour harbour labour favourite through.:D

Anyway, rather than holding a spelling contest, what use is Compiz really? I know it is very impressive for the first hour. I also know it slows my PC down. It is great for eye candy fans, but a simplistic and good looking desktop is much better.

Dude it's time to stop living in the 90s. The desktop has to look good.. especially in the case of linux where there's enough barriers to entry. I've ran compiz on a few machines and even on the low spec one(256 ram, intel gfx) it ran fine. It's far from useless and it keeps getting better.

urgh... I just want to shoot my laptop every time I read "simplistic..(bank) is much better", or "blahblahblah... suits my needs", "@#%*@... fast and light", or "yadayada.. bloated"...

Don't get me started on the whole "we're so much better then winblows users and osX fanboys lick farts dipped in glitter" attitude.

FuturePilot
February 5th, 2009, 04:04 AM
what use is Compiz really?

I think this post sums it up very well. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6473909&postcount=50

phrostbyte
February 5th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Does Compiz use a DSCM (BZR/GIT) for source control?

Edit: Nevermind. :)

mcduck
February 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Actually it has lots of very useful features if you just look further than the basic flashy effects.

Besides, it doesn't slow everybody's computers down. Both my computers run just as fast with or without Compiz, only enabling it gives me a bunch of nice tools that make my everyday work a bit easier to do.

..And, in the end, I rather look at nice looking desktop with some modest effects enabled. Having to spend most of my days staring at computer display every little thing that makes it nicer is worth it. :)

Metallion
February 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Many people have replied to you already but I just can't resist. For one, when I'm trying to follow a howto or need to copy something from a document which can't be done with a simple copy paste, I really hate the constant switching between windows and resising to fit both on the screen is a lot of hassle. With compiz I can just make the top window transparent and easily look at both of 'em.

The window picker makes it really easy to see which windows are open and pick one of them.

By using the cube/shpere I have a great overview of everything that's on my desktop.

The annotate plugin is very useful for giving presentations as it allows you to mark any place on your screen by drawing a simple line with the mouse.

And maybe most important of all... It makes my desktop so much more fun to use. One of the most important things in life is to be in a stimulating environment and I believe that for IT geeks like us, that includes the screen we're constantly staring at.

Besides, for me compiz really doesn't slow down any of my computers.

mihai.ile
February 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I just don't use compiz because it still has problems with windows, sometimes mixes everything when you heavily use the "show desktop" and change workspaces, and worse does heavy hdd I/O when resuming the laptop (it takes some 2-3min until I can log-in actually)...
I know it has some great features but it has those drawbacks, that the normal desktop don't and are the kind of showstoppers bugs...

Giant Speck
February 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Compiz Plugins that I use and why I use them:

Wobbly Windows

Wobbly Windows, when set to medium friction, creates an effect that makes the windows feel more like real objects. If you turn the friction down too low, you don't get that feeling, and if you turn it up too high, it just looks retarded.
Expo

Expo allows me to move windows between desktops easily. With only a single click, I can see all four workstations and can move windows freely among them, therefore organizing my workspace.
Window Previews

I always liked the Window Previews feature of Windows Vista. The problem, however, is that with Vista, the previews are too small to give me any useful idea of what is going on within those windows. (They have changed this in Windows 7, though, and I will say that I like the way Windows 7 does it much more than Compiz does.) With Compiz, I can change the size of the preview, allowing me to see a much more usable preview.
Window Decoration

What can I say? I just like Emerald more than Metacity. The Emerald Theme Manager gives me a large selection of options and configurations so that I can make a theme that matches any GTK theme I make. It helps me make my desktop personal.

K.Mandla
February 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Oh wow, I was just about to type that very same thing. Big +1.

Dude it's time to stop living in the 90s. The desktop has to look good.. especially in the case of linux where there's enough barriers to entry. I've ran compiz on a few machines and even on the low spec one(256 ram, intel gfx) it ran fine. It's far from useless and it keeps getting better.

urgh... I just want to shoot my laptop every time I read "simplistic..(bank) is much better", or "blahblahblah... suits my needs", "@#%*@... fast and light", or "yadayada.. bloated"...

Don't get me started on the whole "we're so much better then winblows users and osX fanboys lick farts dipped in glitter" attitude.
Yes and no. Your desktop is probably ugly to me. My desktop is probably ugly to you. Everybody is different, so are their desktops. Mine are simplistic because for me, it's much better and suits my needs and is fast and light. Others are bloated. The fact that we have the choice between the two is far more important than anything else. After all, the alternative is whatever Microsoft decides is best for both of us.

mobilediesel
February 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
@lykwydchykyn:

Totally off-topic: Holy crap I just realized how to pronounce your username!

Dyslexia's difficult enough without people spelling things funny!

Islington
February 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
OH FOR FUNKS SAKE
how does every conversation about this legitimate OSS project devolve into:

1. people questioning its use.
2. people defending its use.

If you dont like it, dont use it. ITS NOT THAT COMPLICATED. This thread was started to inform the community that a few important changes are happening to a piece of software they may or may not use. It was not made to discuss the usefulness of compiz which has been discussed so many other times.

The only real discussion happening in this thread is about moving away from FreeDesktop.

notwen
February 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM

history does tend to repeat itself. *nod*

hanzomon4
February 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Oh wow, I was just about to type that very same thing. Big +1.

Yes and no. Your desktop is probably ugly to me. My desktop is probably ugly to you. Everybody is different, so are their desktops. Mine are simplistic because for me, it's much better and suits my needs and is fast and light. Others are bloated. The fact that we have the choice between the two is far more important than anything else. After all, the alternative is whatever Microsoft decides is best for both of us.

*hanzomon4 pukes a little*

wersdaluv
February 6th, 2009, 01:11 AM
oh for funks sake
how does every conversation about this legitimate oss project devolve into:

1. People questioning its use.
2. People defending its use.

If you dont like it, dont use it. Its not that complicated. This thread was started to inform the community that a few important changes are happening to a piece of software they may or may not use. It was not made to discuss the usefulness of compiz which has been discussed so many other times.

The only real discussion happening in this thread is about moving away from freedesktop.
+1