PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant manually run dpkg --configure -a after failed install or upgrade

Asmund
February 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Can someone please help?

Im a bit new to linux, but apparently "the package libxine1-bin 1.1.15-0ubuntu3.1 failed to install or upgrade", and now whenever I try to run apt-get, or add/remove it tells me to manually run dpkg --configure -a.

However, when I run that in the terminal I only get:

dpkg: ../../src/packages.c:221: process_queue: Assertion `dependtry <= 4' failed.
Aborted

Running sudo apt-get -f install gives me:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
7 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
dpkg: error processing libxine1-bin (--configure):
package libxine1-bin is not ready for configuration
cannot configure (current status `triggers-awaited')
dpkg: ../../src/packages.c:221: process_queue: Assertion `dependtry <= 4' failed.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly

Allthough to be completly honest, Im not even sure what this command is supposed to do, I only ran it because thats what some other user on the forum with simular problems was told to try.. I know, I know... Im such a noob..

Ive been reading threw posts on the forum and tried running sudo dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii to get a list of faulty packages, which I could then remove, but that brings up:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==========================================-=======================================-============================================

iF gxine 0.5.903-2ubuntu2 the xine video player, GTK+/Gnome user inter
rc libavcodec51 3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3 ffmpeg codec library
iU libxine1 1.1.15-0ubuntu3.1 the xine video/media player library, meta-pa
iW libxine1-bin 1.1.15-0ubuntu3.1 the xine video/media player library, binary
iU libxine1-console 1.1.15-0ubuntu3.1 libaa/libcaca/framebuffer/directfb related p
iU libxine1-ffmpeg 1.1.15-0ubuntu3.1 MPEG-related plugins for libxine1
iU libxine1-misc-plugins 1.1.15-0ubuntu3.1 Input, audio output and post plugins for lib
iU libxine1-x 1.1.15-0ubuntu3.1 X desktop video output plugins for libxine1
rc myspell-en-us 1:2.4.0-2ubuntu4 English_american dictionary for myspell

Are any of these working in any way, or will removing them affect my system in a bad way? Im really at a loss here, so any help would be very appreciated!

Hooya
February 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Try using Synaptic to completely remove (Purge) the offending programs. Then do a reload in synaptic. If those programs are dependencies, install the programs they depend upon if you need those programs back. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

You can also try "dpkg --remove" on the offending packages, which I think does the same thing.

By the way, "apt-get -f" attempts to "correct a system with broken dependencies in place. This option, when used with install/remove can omit any packages to permit APT to deduce a likely solution." It's another way to attempt to reinstall broken programs, similar to the dpkg --reconfigure command you first tried.

Asmund
February 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks! I completely removed all of them using synaptic, and now everything seems to work again. :) Really appreciate it! Big thank you from Norway!