PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 7.10 to 8.10 upgrade or clean install

m1k3uk
February 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hi

Im currently running ubuntu 7.10 dual boot with windows xp. Lately a few things have stopped working in ubuntu and its generally a bit messy with loads of applications installed so i feel its time to upgrade to the latest version.

However i would like to keep my files and windows partition the same and upgrade with the minimum amount of fuss. When i installed ubuntu i made a separate home and swap partition so am i correct in thinking that if i use a clean install using the cd i can just tell ubuntu to format the partition with the system files on and install there and it can then use the home partition with all the files still present???

Thanks

avtolle
February 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Yes; when you get to the partitioning stage of installation, select manual, and the current Ubuntu partition for formatting and mount point of /. Don't touch any other partitions (but be sure the mount points are /swap for the swap partition and /home for the home partition) and 8.10 should be installed without disturbing anything else. Back up your data, however, to be safe.