PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apple trailers work perfectly with mplayer, BUT...

hachel
February 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi,
I used to have the totem-mozilla plugin play anything on the web, mainly quicktime-files. I was able to play the HD-Trailers by middle-clicking (mousewheel) the links (the 480p, 720p... buttons), thus opening them in a new tab (nothing happened when I clicked them just once with the left mousebutton (there was a brief rumbling from my pc, but really nothing happend)).

Well anyway, during playback of the HD-Trailers I wasn't able to skip or fastforward, if I wanted to play it again I had to wait to the end or refresh the page, so that's the main reason I decided to install the mplayer along with its mozilla-plugin and choose that as the standard-quicktimeplayer (I had to uninstall the totem-mozilla-package for it to work).

Now, if I middle-click a link, it works well, opening the mov in a new tab, and I can fastword and seek etc, but when I single-click any of the HD-links, a window pops up where it says "Buffering..." and a percentage is counting up. Just before it would reach 100% (like, 94%,97%, depending on the steps it took) it stops though, and nothing happens anymore. I tried multiple trailers and different resolutions, all the same.

Any ideas for me to try?

thanks

hachel

PS: with the mplayer-plugin, just as with the totem, there is no progress-, kindof buffer-bar, to indicate how far the video has been downloaded already, guess thats something I have to live with, right?

hachel
February 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM
i found out that you have to right-click that grey window and select play.
a bit fiddly, but miles ahead of the totem plugin

thanks everybody