PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Portable portability of the normal Linux?

xycris
February 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hiya Everyone,

I am curious about the portability of the Linux operating system. I am aware that there are lots of portable Linux distros available and are mainly found here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

However, since Linux kernels have the basic hardware drivers needed, therefore installation of drivers is not necessarily required to run the basic operating system. Is it possible to do a normal installation procedure of the Linux operating system, such as the Ubuntu distro, in my external hard drive (160GB) and then run it on other computers?

The idea really sparked from the installation discs where you can boot Linux up without the need to install. However, there is a downside to that, too bad you can't do a save functionality because the disc is a read-only disc and everything is temporary unless you install it on the HD.

Is that advisable or do I really need to get one of the distros offered by PenDriveLinux.com?

I really do love the idea of low cost and really portable portability (comparing an external HD to a laptop or a notebook). To me, it really does not matter if I just bring an external HD because everywhere I go there are computers wherein I can plug it in. Besides, in my place, laptops and notebooks are eye catching equipments to thieves and makes me feel like I am walking towards doom when I am carrying one. Good thing nothing bad happened to me yet but my colleagues already had their lives on the line because of it, their cars were even forced open for such items!

Cheers,

Cris :popcorn: