PDA

View Full Version : The Linux supercomputers

haemulon
February 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The U.S. government has hired IBM to build a supercomputer with more power than all the supercomputers on the Top500 supercomputer list combined.

The planned Sequoia system will use approximately 1.6 million processing cores,
all IBM Power chips, running Linux.

Linux is now present in over 93% of the worlds
supercomputer sites.

The two top supercomputers today are IBM's Roadrunner and the Cray XT Jaguar both
Linux-powered.

reference: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=12&articleId=9127238&intsrc=hm_topic

AnonCat
February 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I often mention the use of Linux on supercomputers when I come across a certain friend who always claims Linux is just a toy even though he has never used it.

Sealbhach
February 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I hate when people say "Linux is just a hobby". I usually ask are the people who run the Large Hadron Collider hobbyists? Or the people who run most of the world's supercomputers?

haemulon
February 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM
It's just amazing how flexible Linux is.

It runs on cell phones, mini-computers, laptops, desktops and the super computers.

mips
February 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
See http://www.top500.org/ for the worlds fastest supercomputers.

Sporkman
February 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM
The U.S. government has hired IBM to build a supercomputer with more power than all the supercomputers on the Top500 supercomputer list combined.

The planned Sequoia system will use approximately 1.6 million processing cores,
all IBM Power chips, running Linux.

Linux is now present in over 93% of the worlds
supercomputer sites.

The two top supercomputers today are IBM's Roadrunner and the Cray XT Jaguar both
Linux-powered.

What would it cost to run Windows Server on that - would they have to buy 1.6M node licenses?

Sporkman
February 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I often mention the use of Linux on supercomputers when I come across a certain friend who always claims Linux is just a toy even though he has never used it.

You don't even need to cite supercomputers - just point out to him that a large number of hardcore, serious business run linux on their servers, like banks & big eCommerce operations. Google is also powered by linux.