PDA

View Full Version : British Conservatives say Open Source FTW!!

Sealbhach
February 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.itexaminer.com/british-opposition-calls-for-open-source.aspx

Osborne, who has obviously been reading Linux Today over some bloke on the train's shoulder, said that moving to "open standards" would create a common language for government IT.

PriceChild
February 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Big stories with BECTA recently too. Things are looking good.

Sealbhach
February 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Big stories with BECTA recently too. Things are looking good.

Knowing Labour, they'll suddenly "come up with this idea themselves" in a few weeks, so it's win/win for FLOSS.:D

ubuntu-freak
February 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Actually, the UK Independence Party have been pushing for more use of open source software for years. Obviously, none of these parties care or understand what free software is, they just want to save some money. It's still a positive developement, though.

howefield
February 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
..Obviously, none of these parties care or understand what free software is, they just want to save some money.

Not only about saving money, it is about being in opposition and saying whatever it takes to get into government. Were (when) the positions reversed it won't be any different.

gn2
February 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Maybe George Osborne has been listening to Stephen Fry?

Johnsie
February 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure if I want some hobbyist software controlling my life support machine. If Open Source is adopted in the UK then there needs to be tight standards on the software quality used. Open Source software is great but making sure that the quality of the software used is high is extremely important.

Sometimes using free stuff is good, but if there's something better out there that you have to pay for then I think it's worth paying the extra to get better results.

Skripka
February 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Just for my own clarity of perspective, British "conservatives" are analogous to the far left-wing of American politics-correct? ;)

Johnsie
February 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Uk conservatives are pro family, mostly anti-abortion, not so keen on gays and against the idea of the too many public funded bodies.

The main difference between a UK conservative and a US conservative is that a UK conservative is less likely to support the Invasion of a foreign country.

hyper_ch
February 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure if I want some hobbyist software controlling my life support machine. If Open Source is adopted in the UK then there needs to be tight standards on the software quality used. Open Source software is great but making sure that the quality of the software used is high is extremely important.

we all know that linux is really bad quality... that's why most servers on the net run linux... and also tivos and routers and a lot of other devices...

v8YKxgHe
February 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Sometimes using free stuff is good, but if there's something better out there that you have to pay for then I think it's worth paying the extra to get better results.

Who said Open Source = hobbyist? There are many 'commercial' open source software with incredible standards and quality.

In fact, I'd place my money on there being *more* hobbyist closed-source software.

Johnsie
February 4th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I didn't say it's all hobbyist, just that alot of the 'major' open source projects are hobbyist. The numbers are unimportan. What I was pointing out is that there need to be very high standards imposed if people are using cheaper/free software. Going cheap/free isn't always the best option. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

v8YKxgHe
February 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I didn't say it's all hobbyist, just that alot of the 'major' open source projects are hobbyist. The numbers are unimportan. What I was pointing out is that there need to be very high standards imposed if people are using cheaper/free software. Going cheap/free isn't always the best option. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

You've got the wrong term of open-source software. Who said Open Source = free? ;) I could make software open source yet still sell it for 6K.

If by major, you mean projects such as the Linux Kernel, Mozilla Firefox, MySQL - well, they are far from hobbyist.

Open Source simply refers to the type of license they are under, nothing regarding to cost, quality or 'hobbyist' status.

Tomatz
February 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
a UK conservative is less likely to support the Invasion of a foreign country.

:lolflag:

Where were you born??? LMFAO!!! The Tory's put more votes in than labour when voteing to go to war with Iraq...

Tomatz
February 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM

What do you think they will do? Try to open top secret documents in mousepad...

Swagman
February 4th, 2009, 06:41 PM
UkIp FTW

They can't possibly be any worse than the other two main parties.

Oh.. And it was Thatcher who used the Falklands to divert public attention from the 3 million unemployed (official figure.. We all know they are manipulated).

That tactic worked. She won the next election on a wave of media inspired patriotism.

Tomatz
February 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
UkIp FTW

Oh.. And it was Thatcher who used the Falklands to divert public attention from the 3 million unemployed (official figure.. We all know they are manipulated).

That tactic worked. She won the next election on a wave of media inspired patriotism.

+1

Its all a lie anyway. I mean democracy is a joke, the same handful of wealthy dynasties have been in control of America for the last 100 years and no one thinks this is slightly odd???

Does anyone really think that Cameron, the Eaton public school boy (and chums) really wants to help the working class???

Its a joke and we are the punchline :p

mips
February 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
People,

I can guarantee you that this thread will get locked if you don't stick to the topic. Leave the wars & crap out of it. Just an observation.

stimpack
February 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
UkIp FTW

It wasn't a tactic, sure it worked out well for her, but surely any leader of any party in any country, would protect its territory?.

Now this news is good, but remember when Tony Blair took a backhander from Microsoft to ensure Windows in every school... I am sure the Conservatives can be swayed the same way.

Sealbhach
February 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Please stop hijacking this thread with politics.

As regards hobbyist, two words: Red Hat.

Rocket2DMn
February 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaannnndddd closed for political discussion.