PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus freezes when directory has LOTS OF FILES

dasc
February 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
As my work revolves around processing lots and lots of files, I sometimes get like 20,000 + files that I need to automatically process. E.g. Converting them from text files to voice over mp3 files.

I've only been using ubuntu for about 6 months now and think it's good so far besides the minor glitches here and there. Has anyone else experienced nautilus freezing when a folder/directory has lots and lots of files?

I know one thing for sure is that the console doesn't freeze so that's a plus, but I've definitely dealt with more then 20,000 files on windows and shockingly it's been way smoother than nautilus!

ben2talk
November 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Wow, an old post with no replies...

Actually, this isn't simply to do with the number of files. If you launch Nautilus using the terminal, you'll see feedback at the kinds of things that trip it up.

I have a big problem right now - I renamed my home direcory from /home/ben to /home/ben-bak, then installed 9.10 Karmic over my 9.04 installation - a fresh install (formatted /root, didn't format /home, but created a new encrypted home directory already with ext4).

Browsing with Thunar is lightning fast.

Browsing with Nautilus can be fast - if you use the 'Tree' view in the left pane, and don't try to select anything in the display window, it's fine.

However, if I go to the /home directory and then right click on the 'ben-bak' folder, it seems to have lots of trouble, especially with some folders in /ben-bak/Desktop

Summary - Nautilus is fast when you use the 'tree view' to select folders, but has problems clicking on folders (especially with the right mouse button).