PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install Ubuntu 8.10 At All..! Always Locks Up..!

ssccrab
February 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'm a noob to Linux, I must admit, so don't flame too much, lol. 8.10 has been my first attempt at installing/using Linux. I have a Live DVD, and so far I like it pretty well (I'm using it right now, at this moment, actually). Ubuntu 8.10 works perfectly right here on my Macbook, which is what I'm running it on now, by the Live DVD (not installed on the MB). I want to install U-8.10 on my home PC (completely fresh install onto the hard drive), which currently has XP Home Installed (I want that wiped). The PC isn't a brand name, but instead was built by us at home a couple of years ago or so. Parts have been updated recently. I can boot the DVD when first turning on my PC and get to the very first screen, where I can choose the languages, how to boot, Try Ubuntu, or Install. However... When I select "Try Ubuntu Without Making Changes To Your Comp", or which ever it says, it completely locks up my PC after the orange bar loads.. Just a plain wall paper and mouse, and that's it. No movement, no anything :( . It'll completely lock up as well when I try installing. I've read there are problems with the Nvidia drivers, and it happens to be that I currently own an Nvidia 9500GT video card.But I've also read that people have gotten it working on their systems with Nvidia hardware (even with a 9500 installed). My system specs are more than enough for the requirements and there's nothing else wrong with my machine at all. Is there some way, any way, that I can get it to stop freezing so that I can install 8.10 on the PC? Or is it a lost cause, and should just try another version (and if so, which version)? Thanks for your help!! :D

Scarlath
February 4th, 2009, 08:35 AM
The CD might not be working correctly, have you tried checking it for defects? Have you tried burning a new CD (if not, try that; burn at lowest speed)?

ssccrab
February 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
The CD might not be working correctly, have you tried checking it for defects? Have you tried burning a new CD (if not, try that; burn at lowest speed)?

Well, actually I have 2 different DVD's, both out of Linux Magazines. One DVD is a double-side, with 32-bit on one side and 64-bit on the other. The other disc has the 64-bit version and Fedora. The DVD I'm running Live on right now is the double-sided one and is working fine. Should I just download and burn a version?

tsaowang
February 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi,

I exactly have the same problem with my Ubuntu 8.10 DVD...
But, I can install Ubuntu when I select text mode installation.

Did you try this ?

ssccrab
February 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hi,

I exactly have the same problem with my Ubuntu 8.10 DVD...
But, I can install Ubuntu when I select text mode installation.

Did you try this ?

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried that option yet, but as soon as I'm able to, I'll try it. I'll let you guys know what sort of an outcome I get. ;)