PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE fails to logout, shutdown, etc.

Gotaro
February 4th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I recently updated my video drivers to the latest Catalyst 9.1. Things didn't go smoothly, but I learned important things! (Like that aticonfig is just a program to help with xorg.conf editing) The hiccup I had was an error about a line "Disable dri2", which I removed in order to solve the problem and continue with "aticonfig --initial".

So now Kubuntu won't logout, restart, or shutdown successfully through the GUI.. It does the logout sequence (closes programs, chimes logout music), though at least once left Konqueror open, window decoration-less, against a blank background. Other times it's just a blank screen. Pushing the power button at this point on my PC initiates the real shutdown sequence, and the Kubuntu logo appears and reverses the loading bar, like normal, and shuts off.. I can also successfully shutdown with the "sudo shutdown -r now" command, which was suggested in my previous thread. Even with this method, it still takes significantly longer to shutdown than it used to. Pushing the power button will [i]always[/i[ successfully shutdown.

Installing the new driver may or may not have been the cause, though messing with Compiz/Emerald and their settings is what I concluded broke KDE the last time this happened. I didn't fix it last time; I just reinstalled Kubuntu.

Any ideas?