View Full Version : [ubuntu] Attempting to install Ubuntu on G3 iMac

February 4th, 2009, 04:32 AM
First off I apologize if I am asking a question that has been covered before, however I have been doing reading and research for three nights - attempting to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have downloaded a few different PPC iso's and burned them on a G4 iMac (running OSX 10.4.11) using Disk Utility...

but no matter what I do - I can't get the boot disc to load.

I am aware that it is not a straight forward boot-and-load deal... as outlined here:

On that thread... ZoiaGuyver says:

"...once youve got the CD booted you will be greeted by a blankscreen rather than the desktop you had been waiting on."

Unfortunatly there is no info as to how to get it to boot from the CD in the first place.

Well I don't even get a blank screen... I throw the live CD in, start up with C key down... and I can hear the CD being accessed - but it immediatly boots up with OS 9.2.2 - the installed OS.

Does the iMac need OSX installed in order to install Ubuntu?

Where am I going wrong? ](*,)

February 4th, 2009, 04:37 AM
make sure to burn the disc very very slowly. you can also try holding alt/option on startup to choose to boot from the CD.

February 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Please, post more info about your iMac and about the version of Ubuntu you want to install.

Be sure that you downloaded a PPC Ubuntu Installer.
Burn the CD at low speed, as suggested, and even better using the Apple Disk Utility (of MacOS9 on your iMac if you can)
Did you changed anything in the Hardware?
Are you using the right medium (CD-R or CD+R)? Supports your CD-ROM both format?

February 5th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Just a Wag here. But which G3/iMac is it? Some of the older blueberry's say around the 233's still needed a small OS 9 install and bootx to get linux installed. At least that's what was my experiance. Pia, but a learning experiance.