PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMWare Ubuntu Browser Appliance problems

lintode
February 4th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Hi,

I will apologize in advance in case you find my frustrations to be ... frustrating. This is my first experience with Ubuntu and it is unhappy. I tried to do something simple, or so I thought.

I brought down the VMWare Browser Appliance for the reason of wanting an isolated surfing environment.

I installed the VMWare player and the appliance, and it came up working. My first step was to do what everyone who downloads this thing wants to do, I went a site that needs the flash player. But the flash player was not installed.

I went to Adobe's site and downloaded the .deb file. I selected the installer to run it after download, but the installer did not start.

So I opened a GUI to the desktop and launched the deb file. And failed. Why did the Archive Manager open, since obviously it can't handle it?

Next I tried to install from a console window using dpkg. Now it says I don't have permission. So, I use sudo su and try again. This time it tries to install but I get a string of error messages saying my version of ubuntu is too old. There was also some message about installing a previously deselected package. Huh?

So now I try to upgrade Ubuntu using apt-get update (still in super user account). Again, nothing but a string of errors and a fail to install.

Fault Microsoft as much as you want, I don't have these problems, not with installs and not with updates.

I would like some help. If you want to tell me that this is easy, please do not reply. I believe in open source, but this is just the latest in a string of years of disappointments. If someone understands why I am havng a problem and can offer some real advice, I will be very very grateful.

Thanks!