PDA

View Full Version : Google Ads?

TBOL3
February 4th, 2009, 02:00 AM
So, do any of you actually read the adds from google? Or do you use an ad blocker? And do you think these ads do any good?

So, I do have an adblocker, but gmail (I know it's not safe, but I haven't really got a server set up yet) still get's ads through. No big deal right, just ignore them.

Well, I usually do, but for the first time I think in about 4 years I've ever actually looked at a gmail ad, and here's what I saw.

"Lipstick On A Pig? - PETA.org - Pigs Shouldn’t Have Lipstick Unless They’ve Been Kissed. Help Pigs Now!"

Wow, just wow.

xuCGC002
February 4th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Meh, I use adblock plus on firefox. Those ads are annoying.

Skripka
February 4th, 2009, 02:56 AM
My fav is when I'm checking my spam filter, I look at the Google text ads at the top--and the "targeted" adverts are recipes involving SPAM.

Kingsley
February 4th, 2009, 03:08 AM
My fav is when I'm checking my spam filter, I look at the Google text ads at the top--and the "targeted" adverts are recipes involving SPAM.
Spam Breakfast Burritos (http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/meat/pork/spam/00/rec0017.html) - Bake 5-10 minutes, serve with salsa

yum

Grant A.
February 4th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Spam Breakfast Burritos (http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/meat/pork/spam/00/rec0017.html) - Bake 5-10 minutes, serve with salsa

yum

I believe you mean APT.

Kingsley
February 4th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I believe you mean APT.
Nope, I run Fedora 10. ;)

Dr Small
February 4th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I never see the ads. I run Privoxy + DansGuardian and it takes care of all them for me :)

Skripka
February 4th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I never see the ads. I run Privoxy + DansGuardian and it takes care of all them for me :)

Even in Gmail? I've found that Google adverts there don;t get stripped by Privoxy on my rig....I've gone back to AdBlock in Konqueror as Privoxy and Konqueror don't play well with may websites (such as Linux bug reporting sights)

Kopachris
February 4th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I use AdBlock Plus with Firefox, but if a site gets ads through to me anyway, it doesn't bother me (unless they're popups :o ) because I know that they have stuff to pay for with those ads (especially independent bloggers).

mihai.ile
February 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I actually clicked some times in the gmail ads. I like that are only text based, and not noticeable if you don't look for them.

binbash
February 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
It was good at the start but at the moment most of the sites are MFA (made for adsense), so i am using adblocker now.

handy
February 5th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I use Privoxy on my firewall, Adblock+ on Firefox (though I probably don't need it) & I use Scroogle when I search, as it uses the Google search engine, but removes all the add's & it also stores no personal information, which is the main reason I use Scroogle.

6star.org
February 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
For me, some ads are just an additional info.