PDA

View Full Version : Store User on Flash Drive

dr.silly
February 4th, 2009, 01:17 AM
This may be a completely insane and fantastic idea but... Thumb drives keep getting bigger, right. What about storing full users (not os) on the drives. I mean like all the documents and applications and everything else. You just plug in you drive and your good to go wherever. This way the entire system stays on the hard drive of the computer so that it can be maintained and all of your personal files and applications on the drive. Just log in from your thumb drive

Am I crazy?

chris4585
February 4th, 2009, 02:22 AM
dr. silly I'm not sure what you want to accomplish? You can store /home on a flash drive, but as far as taking your home to other computers, doesn't sound very realistic. Unless you just want to make a user on every computer that runs ubuntu on. Not really sure what you're saying.

dr.silly
February 4th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I was thinking of keeping whatever a user uses documents, settings, music, applications, etc. I was thinking of a decentralized computer usage. All of the core system would be kept on the computer and all of your stuff on the drive. Literally logging in from a USB drive. Of course there'd be compatibility issues blah blah blah but you get my point.

chris4585
February 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
From another thread, this might be useful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4158535&postcount=5

I dunno, things like this I usually just 'wing-it' if you know what I mean. Personally I think creating a USB key for your computer would be more useful. If you want it to seem like your computer cannot co-exist without your flash drive anyway, works great with my laptop, no one can boot my laptop without my flash drive.

dr.silly
February 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah kinda I was thinking thinking of logging in off one but yeah