PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My computer won't boot!!!

scottiw2000
February 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I'm a happy Intrepid user and decided to install Ubuntu Hardy from a CD in a partition on my office computer at work. It installed fine, recognized my network connection and hardware, etc. But after I exit and boot back into Win XP Pro the computer won't book anymore into either Windows or Ubuntu. I need to keep the Windows install to keep my IT guys happy on the network (and run the odd piece of software), so doing a pure Linux install isn't an option. But every time I use the windows partition I have to re-install Linux -- even if I just want to go back to windows! Help!

To clarify, I'm working on a Lenovo desktop with a dual-core Pentium, a 60G HD, and about 1G of memory. When I say the machine "won't reboot" I mean that I get to the bios startup screen, but not to the loading screen for either OS. It just hangs and starts auto-rebooting in an endless cycle until I interrupt with a hard power-off.

Can you help? I really don't want to ask my IT support guys because they weren't crazy about me installing it at the office in the first place.

Thanks

jimv
February 4th, 2009, 01:13 AM
It sounds like GRUB didn't get installed. I would try the Ubuntu install again.

scottiw2000
February 4th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I did re-install Ubuntu and got the same result. Should I manually install GRUB from within Ubuntu?