PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu mentioned in Jan Maximum PC

thecdn
December 19th, 2005, 08:31 PM
The Jan 2006 issue of Maximum PC has an article on building a pc for $300. For that money they couldn't use one of Bill's products so they chose linux - Ubuntu to be exact.

There is a 3 page write up on installing ubuntu for total newbies. It's good to see this in a main stream publication.

Some quotes:

"So we ditched Windows and installed Ubuntu, a Debian-based Linux distro suited for everyone from grandmas to power users. Ubuntu will let you do everything you need on your PC - browse on the web, check email, edit photos, and edit office files."

"In fact, this PC is capable of performing every single task we perform on a daily basis at our office desks"

"Heck, the Ubuntu Linux distro is so easy to use, we could even toss this PC Mom's way and tell here to have at it. Then we'd be able to tell our friends that we're so hardcore even our moms use Linux!"

It even mentions up front how to edit xorg.conf as the mobo they use has an ati based chip.

Very positive stuff.

Brunellus
December 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
if any publication called "maximum pc" can be considered "mainstream."

I'll believe "mainstream" when ubuntu gets on publications not aimed specifically at computer geeks.

spdl
December 19th, 2005, 08:43 PM
The Jan 2006 issue of Maximum PC has an article on building a pc for $300. For that money they couldn't use one of Bill's products so they chose linux - Ubuntu to be exact.

There is a 3 page write up on installing ubuntu for total newbies. It's good to see this in a main stream publication.

Some quotes:

"So we ditched Windows and installed Ubuntu, a Debian-based Linux distro suited for everyone from grandmas to power users. Ubuntu will let you do everything you need on your PC - browse on the web, check email, edit photos, and edit office files."

"In fact, this PC is capable of performing every single task we perform on a daily basis at our office desks"

"Heck, the Ubuntu Linux distro is so easy to use, we could even toss this PC Mom's way and tell here to have at it. Then we'd be able to tell our friends that we're so hardcore even our moms use Linux!"

It even mentions up front how to edit xorg.conf as the mobo they use has an ati based chip.

Very positive stuff.

Cool thecdn. Thanks for posting.

ubuntu27
December 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Some quotes:

Very positive stuff.
Oh really? wow! I'm a regular reader of Maximum PC, and my January, 2006 edition of the magazine hasn't arrive yet. Thanks for the preview!! :P Now I'm exited since Maximum PC is more about Windows...

prizrak
December 19th, 2005, 09:30 PM
if any publication called "maximum pc" can be considered "mainstream."

I'll believe "mainstream" when ubuntu gets on publications not aimed specifically at computer geeks.
Well a non PC magazine wouldn't have much of a reason to mention an OS. If Ubuntu had a NYSE ticker then it might be mentioned. Maximum PC is very much around though, offices, airports, hairdressers so it's not bad publicity besides everyone and their mother are interested in cyber stuff nowadays ;)

xequence
December 19th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Well a non PC magazine wouldn't have much of a reason to mention an OS. If Ubuntu had a NYSE ticker then it might be mentioned. Maximum PC is very much around though, offices, airports, hairdressers so it's not bad publicity besides everyone and their mother are interested in cyber stuff nowadays ;)

Its UBTU. Its on the Nasdaq.

Brunellus
December 19th, 2005, 10:06 PM
don't get me wrong--it's good. But it's still constrained to the rather small community of computer hobbyists.

ubuntu27
December 20th, 2005, 06:33 AM
My bad. I already had januaru edition of Maximum PC..

There is a small sentence where I don't agree...

Page 59,Step 1: "Ubuntu is a LiveCD version of Debian, which uses the more streamlined Gnome window manager."

Ubuntu is a LiveCD version of Ubuntu? Where did they come up with that ?

prizrak
December 20th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Cool, but kinda weird. I thought it was not for profit.

don't get me wrong--it's good. But it's still constrained to the rather small community of computer hobbyists.
Agreed

ubuntu27
December 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
UBTU is no longer in the Nasdaq... or never was there...

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 09:30 PM
Cool, but kinda weird. I thought it was not for profit

FOSS is not neccessarily non profit software, there is a difference. ;)

prizrak
December 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM
FOSS is not neccessarily non profit software, there is a difference. ;)
I didn't say FOSS was non profit, I said I thought Ubuntu was ;)

GreyFox503
December 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM
My bad. I already had januaru edition of Maximum PC..

There is a small sentence where I don't agree...

Page 59,Step 1: "Ubuntu is a LiveCD version of Debian, which uses the more streamlined Gnome window manager."

Ubuntu is a LiveCD version of Ubuntu? Where did they come up with that ?
I noticed that too. I think they meant to say that Ubuntu has a liveCD version of itself, as opposed to Debian. Either that or they do not know what a liveCD is. :???:

Check this out for more info and responses:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=99537

kleeman
December 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM
Good one! Must be the Toronto Nasdaq eh? BTW the company is Canonical ;-)

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 10:24 PM
I didn't say FOSS was non profit, I said I thought Ubuntu was ;)

Point taken, it's just such a common misconception that i automatically responded like i always do. Sorry about that.

prizrak
December 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM
Point taken, it's just such a common misconception that i automatically responded like i always do. Sorry about that.
Hehe yeah I understand where you comming from, didn't take any offense to that. Hell anyone with a nick BSDFreak is OK in my book ::D

scole
December 21st, 2005, 10:52 PM
i think it is great to get the word out about ubuntu it is one of the best linux flavors out yet. i have yet to use better. and if a mag like max pc put it in it will have lots of readers which will generate intrest and spread the word better than one person can do.