February 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Does .ne. means "not equal to"?

.true.

Trail
February 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
fortran.eq.horrible

MaxIBoy
February 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Having never seen any examples of fortran syntax before, I must now pause to reel from shock and horror.

Liviu-Theodor
February 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Who uses Fortran now? I know people using Fortran before I was born... Never learned its syntax, as it was used on archaic computers...

mister_pink
February 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Who uses Fortran now? I know people using Fortran before I was born... Never learned its syntax, as it was used on archaic computers...
An alarming number of people still use it in computer modeling, especially in things lie CFD (computational fluid dynamics).

mips
February 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Scientists & Engineers for one. The language is not dead by a long shot and runs on a lot of super computers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran

Back in the day I had fortran on my Apple II, not that I used it though.

jimi_hendrix
February 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Scientists & Engineers for one. The language is not dead by a long shot and runs on a lot of super computers..

2 good parts of being an engineer:

1. you get a really cool hobby building robots

2. you have an excuse to use FORTRAN

RiceMonster
February 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Eh, don't feel so shocked guys, doesn't look half as bad as COBOL. A lot of banks still use it, and it's the most tedious and obnoxious language ever.

fatality_uk
February 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Scientists & Engineers for one. The language is not dead by a long shot and runs on a lot of super computers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran

Back in the day I had fortran on my Apple II, not that I used it though.

Adn a surprising number of accounting applications which "some" people have to support, *tut

mips
February 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Btw, is Ada still as big as back in the day? I know it was pretty secure hence the DoD affiliation.

jimbob
February 4th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Fortran was the only compiler we had "back in the day".

You would be surprised at the amount of Fortran code still used today by an unnamed branch of the US Military.

yabbadabbadont
February 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Btw, is Ada still as big as back in the day? I know it was pretty secure hence the DoD affiliation.

As far as I know, the DoD still requires all code to be written in ADA unless explicitly granted an exception.

JordyD
February 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM
having never seen any examples of fortran syntax before, i must now pause to reel from shock and horror.

+1