PDA

View Full Version : Rss Reader output text file

kanor143
February 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hi,

I am very new to programming. I want to find/create a rss reader that outputs only a certain amount of information in the form of a text file.

sowelie
February 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well...you need to first determine what you're going to write this thing in. What languages do you know? These days I'd recommend using a scripted language like python, or a managed language like C# or Java. C++ is great for building high performance programs but it takes too long to develop stuff in it and has a much higher learning curve.

kanor143
February 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Well...you need to first determine what you're going to write this thing in. What languages do you know? These days I'd recommend using a scripted language like python, or a managed language like C# or Java. C++ is great for building high performance programs but it takes too long to develop stuff in it and has a much higher learning curve.
I am quite familiar with C++ and Java and have done some basic work in those languages. However, my main concern is that some part of my output file from this reader has to stored in a MySQL database, which has been set up on a small Linux server. So, in what language should I code it and how skillful do I have to be, since I am a begineer.

sowelie
February 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I would recommend Java in that case. Java is very easy and MySQL support for Java is very good. You just need to get the MySQL Connecter for Java. I'd also recommend using Eclipse as an IDE. Eclipse works really well as a Java IDE.

kanor143
February 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Sorry...for wasting your time but I consulted my professor and he was like you do not need a rss reader. Instead he suggested me to use perl and do XML parsing. So, at the moment I am going through the basics of XML and learning perl, since I have no clue what parsing is. But, thanks for your time and help, sowelie.

sowelie
February 5th, 2009, 03:05 AM
No problem. As long as you find a good XML library, XML parsing is cake ;).