PDA

View Full Version : [other] Google earth 5

cl333r
February 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hi folks,
is it just me or is the newly released google earth 5 beta for Linux not supporting the "underwater" feature?

ferrarix
February 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Does anyone have the same problem I got? It closes as soon as I load it.

This is what I get in the terminal:

franco@ubuntu:~$ googleearth
Warning: Unable to create prefs directory '/home/franco/.googleearth'. File exists.
./googleearth-bin: relocation error: /usr/lib32/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.8: symbol BIO_test_flags, version OPENSSL_0.9.8 not defined in file libcrypto.so.0.9.8 with link time reference
franco@ubuntu:~$

Edit: BTW, I am on Ubuntu 8.10 Inteprid Ibex, AMD64, IntelCore2Duo.

ferrarix
February 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Okay fixed it.

Found the fix on this (http://blog.mymediasystem.net/avchd/google-earth-5-crashes-on-linux/) link.

Quote:

Google Earth 5 for Linux crashes. You can solve this problem by renaming libcrypto.so.0.9.8 to something else. But be careful, there are probably more than one file with this name on your hard disk drive.
Be sure, the file you rename resides in the googleearth folder.
Do the following:

find / -xdev -name "libcrypto.so*" | grep google

change into the directory you found above, and rename the libcrypto.so.0.9.8 file into
something else:

cd <googleearth directory>
mv libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.0.9.8.nouse

ferrarix
February 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Now I got another problem. The images are all flickering. I'll try playing with my ATI driver (which is updated already through EnvyNG) and OpenGL.

TAFKARS
February 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Now I got another problem. The images are all flickering. I'll try playing with my ATI driver (which is updated already through EnvyNG) and OpenGL.

Same flickering trouble for me, but the fix to load googleearth worked just fine. Anyone else able to overcome this? Screen looks as per the attachment.

Saiph
February 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I installed googleearth 5, LOL:
Another crash happened while handling crash!

ferrarix
February 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Something tells me that this is more of a Google Earth 5 problem rather than an Ubuntu thing. I'll be happier if Google issues an update fix/patch/release to it rather than us trying to figure out a workaround.

Still, if anyone has any solutions, it would be greatly appreciated :).

TAFKARS
February 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Something tells me that this is more of a Google Earth 5 problem rather than an Ubuntu thing. I'll be happier if Google issues an update fix/patch/release to it rather than us trying to figure out a workaround.

Still, if anyone has any solutions, it would be greatly appreciated :).

Yeah, maybe. It seems that plenty of other users are trouble free, though.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1059564&highlight=google+earth

ferrarix
February 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks. I just asked whether someone is using it in a similar environment to that of mine. Let's see.

InvaderZim73
March 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hi folks,

I have exactly the same behaviour.
Installed Google Earth 5.0 and have a flickering view to it.
After some time I found some hints how to fix that nasty libcrypto thingy.
I am using a ATI HD4850 graphics card with the 9.2 catalyst.

Till now I have no cure to the flickering stuff.

Any news from your side?

Greetz InvaderZim73

:popcorn: