PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] partitioning question

bilalakhtar
February 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
hello everyone,
I have a small question:p:p
I am currently usin Windows XP Pro Sp3. I have 2 partitions, C & D. Windows is installed on C. It does not have enough free space to install Ubuntu. So I will install it in a dual-boot mode(not wubi), taking 10GB of free space from D which currently has 25GB free space. I will have to use the manual method of partitioning rather than the guided ones for this task. I will create a 2GB swap and 8GB ext3 for ubuntu ( no home drive). Can anyone tell me step-wise how to do it?
Will I have to specify a mount point for the two windows partitions? will I have to enter some advanced settings at the final step to make GRUB detect windows?

howefield
February 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
You might find it easier to load up the live cd and using partition editor from the system > administration menu, resize your D partition to leave 10 gigs for Ubuntu, then tell the installer to use the largest free space.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

bilalakhtar
February 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
You might find it easier to load up the live cd and using partition editor from the system > administration menu, resize your D partition to leave 10 gigs for Ubuntu, then tell the installer to use the largest free space.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

please anyone tell me a way which does not require using gparted and requires using the manual option while installing ubuntu. have some popcorn:popcorn:.

Pumalite
February 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
'Manual' 'uses' Gparted. What do you want to do?