PDA

View Full Version : OO Design question

badperson
February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hi,
I'm writing a simple app that will compare folders (2 or more) and report which files are more current, exist on one directory and not the other, etc.

I have a "Job" class that will have a several methods. For example, I have a "process()" method which will launch all the other methods, such as "validateFolder()". I'm wondering if that method should be "validateFolder()" (singular), and I would validate all folders in a for loop from the process() method, or should it be "validateFolders()" (plural); and since an array of Folders is a field in the class, it could just loop through that array.

The only downside to that is, in some future implementation if I wanted to use that code to validate just one folder...

thanks!
bp

mdurham
February 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Why not make validateFolders() call validateFolder() for each folder?

badperson
February 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hi,

I thought of that...but it felt weird to me to have them both there; I suppose I could make the validateFolders() private...the idea being that if this application grew into an industry powerhouse to rival excel/photoshop/quicken...:lolflag: and then you had these two methods there it would be kind of ugly.

But I suppose you're right, there isn't any reason not to set it up that way.
thanks!
bp

maximinus_uk
February 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
IMHO: Always always make it work first. If it looks ugly you can always fix it later :D

nvteighen
February 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
What I fail to see is why you need OO in this. It sounds like a simple procedural task... (unless there's something else).

Sorivenul
February 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
What I fail to see is why you need OO in this. It sounds like a simple procedural task... (unless there's something else).
+1. Comparing the two folders and contents seems to be procedural. Generally I see something like: check if file1 is in folder1, check if file1 is in folder2, if in both compare dates and return more recent file1 and content differences. No need for object orientation.