PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help - download & install probs

Nidri
February 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
I am trying to experience Ubuntu as a new user BUT I have downloaded the 698mb file and burned to CD BUT it shows file association with Firefox (browser) and asks what program I want to associate this with when I click on it????

So not doing very well so far can someone help as looking at the info on the site it seems everyone is assumed to have achieved positive download & CD burn experience. Just also add I have been here before and just gave up so there may be lots like me who would be users but mind numbingly and time consumingly fall at the first hurdle.

Really keen to experience Ubuntu so fingers crossed and thanks in anticipation.

WatchingThePain
February 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hello Mate,

You need to burn the image in iso format. There are lots of free iso burning applications out there.

Partyboi2
February 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
This (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto) will show how to check the md5sum an burn the iso to disk. Make sure you burn the ubuntu iso file at a low speed like x4 or less.
Once you have successfully burned the iso to a disk you will need to reboot with the disk you burned in the cdrom, making sure you have "boot from cdrom" set to first in your bios. All going well you will be greeted with a Ubuntu main menu.