PDA

View Full Version : A happy convert

RobsterUK
February 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Over the weekend I converted my sister to Ubuntu, without trying very hard.

She can use a computer for everyday tasks but is not at all techy. She's been using Firefox on her windows PC for a couple of years, then about 6 months ago she mentioned that the Windows laptop borrowed from her work didn't have MS Office, and asked what could she do without buying a copy, so I downloaded and installed Open Office for her, which she's generally been quite happy with, saying "well its pretty much the same really"

Last week her laptop died so I offered her one that was being thrown out from my work which I installed Ubuntu on. She'd never heard of Ubuntu before, and I don't think she was aware there was any alternative to Windows, but the result is one very happy customer.

When I showed her how to install software and explained the updates system she said "wow that's really easy"

When I answered (in detail) her questions about Antivirus software, and firewall software she said "Really? that's good, well I'm converted"

I didn't really plan it this way, but I think it was the slow introduction to alternatives to the software most people use that made it an easy transition.

Its nice that she's happy to use it too, because I think some people get Ubuntu sort of inflicted on them by people who are bit too eager to convert others.

Paqman
February 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
That can't be right. I've heard that Linux is really hard to use.

RobsterUK
February 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM

Haha good one ;)

billgoldberg
February 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I've converted a few people (my whole familie and a friend).

I set it up, they use.

When something goes wrong, I help (rarely happens).

Sealbhach
February 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM

Yeah you have to use the DOS command line all the time.

albinootje
February 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
I don't think she was aware there was any alternative to Windows, but the result is one very happy customer.

Cool! :)

In general I think that people who don't do much more than surfing the web, reading their email, watching videos and do only rather simple word processing, are the easiest to convert, provided that their hardware is "Linux compatible" enough.

Sealbhach
February 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Cool! :)

In general I think that people who don't do much more than surfing the web, reading their email, watching videos and do only rather simple word processing, are the easiest to convert, provided that their hardware is "Linux compatible" enough.

That was exactly the case with my brother.

I set it up for him (fixed the sound issue and configured his PPP modem as well as adding restricted-extras). He's never had any trouble since then, and he's very impressed.