PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Attempting to successfully install Unbuntu is the most unbelievable Nightmare!!

gpriore
February 3rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
:( I honestly do NOT understand how so many people have successfully installed the Linux Ubuntu operating system onto their computers. Are ALL of you people Ph.D.-level software engineers??? I have followed every bit of instructions available, and it simply does not work! I have even called multiple computer technologists, and even they have gone through HELL trying to figure this thing out. Finally, I got in touch with a software engineer{!!!}(who has over twenty years experience in this field) that went ahead and tried figuring out how to make this work, and after a whopping FOUR days, I got a call from him telling me that he finally SUCCEEDED!! There is absolutely no point in this software even being available for FREE!! The creator of Ubuntu might as well charge twice the price of Windows Vista Ultimate, because that's what I practically ended up having to pay, in order to hire enough people to figure this thing out! That's how ridiculously and pathetically difficult it is. "ALL" the instructions out there are apparently just wrong or not comprehensive enough by even one-tenth! So, this software engineer and I have decided that we will make our own list of truly comprehensive instructions, that will make installing this as straightforward and simple as Windows! And we will post it to this forum and as many other forums as possible as soon as we have completed the revising process.

agim
February 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
My 16 year old sister installed it in an hour.
And that was a dual boot.

What exactly were your issues?

RoseKnight
February 3rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Instruction:

1) buy 4gig flash drive
2) download Latest Ubuntu Iso
3) download Latest version of uNetbootin
4) use unetbootin to put iso on flash drive
5) stick flash drive into target computer
5.5) make sure bios is set to boot from USB before harddrive
6) follow onscreen instructions
7) ubuntu installed.

:D

djheadley
February 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
What exactly were the problems that you and your "ecperts" were having? I have been using Ubuntu since about 5.10 and the only really exasperating problem was getting Netzero to work. I didn't have all that much trouble getting wireless to work (considering I haven't done any networking since the 80's and Novell).

pbpersson
February 3rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
The trouble you have or do not have seems to depend completely upon the hardware you are using. If you get a room full of "standard" computers and install Ubuntu on all of them, 80% will have no issues, 5% will have minor issues, another 5% will have significant issues, and the last 5% will encounter impossible issues.

You were apparently in this last 5% and I applaud your persistence in not giving up.

djheadley
February 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
...and the final 5% are the ones that just blow up?
:-)

cdtech
February 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
My 16 year old sister installed it in an hour.
And that was a dual boot.

What exactly were your issues?

LOL, that's great.

He must be trying to install the server edition and trying to figure out why he has no GUI. Only thing I can think of.

glotz
February 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
lol.

And he didn't even mention what hardware he's on...

jimmyboy09
February 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Beggars can't be choosers now...

pbpersson
February 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
I have even called multiple computer technologists, and even they have gone through HELL trying to figure this thing out. Finally, I got in touch with a software engineer{!!!}(who has over twenty years experience in this field)

Just to clarify, I have been writing software for 26 years and I have been building computers in my home since 1990. However, I have never had any problems with Ubuntu which also means I know very little about it. For me, Ubuntu has always just worked.

When an operating system does not work and I have to go in and manually start tweaking things - whether it is Ubuntu or down inside the Windows registry, I quickly get lost.

You should have come to this forum for help rather than seeking the counsel of people who do not work with Ubuntu every day. This is where the experts hang out. :)

Crafty Kisses
February 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
System specs please?

pbpersson
February 3rd, 2009, 07:04 AM
...and the final 5% are the ones that just blow up?
:-)

Oh....you mean that 80 + 5 + 5 + 5 <> 100???

OOPS..... :oops: :rolleyes:

jerome1232
February 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
:( I honestly do NOT understand how so many people have successfully installed the Linux Ubuntu operating system onto their computers. Are ALL of you people Ph.D.-level software engineers??? I have followed every bit of instructions available, and it simply does not work! I have even called multiple computer technologists, and even they have gone through HELL trying to figure this thing out. Finally, I got in touch with a software engineer{!!!}(who has over twenty years experience in this field) that went ahead and tried figuring out how to make this work, and after a whopping FOUR days, I got a call from him telling me that he finally SUCCEEDED!! There is absolutely no point in this software even being available for FREE!! The creator of Ubuntu might as well charge twice the price of Windows Vista Ultimate, because that's what I practically ended up having to pay, in order to hire enough people to figure this thing out! That's how ridiculously and pathetically difficult it is. "ALL" the instructions out there are apparently just wrong or not comprehensive enough by even one-tenth! So, this software engineer and I have decided that we will make our own list of truly comprehensive instructions, that will make installing this as straightforward and simple as Windows! And we will post it to this forum and as many other forums as possible as soon as we have completed the revising process.

Have you ever actually installed Windows? It's actually quite a bit harder than Ubuntu. Seriously.

Just had to rant after seeing this rant.

NorthernSuze
February 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Your nightmare sounds like what drove me away from Windows to Ubuntu in spring 2007. I'm an older, non-geek and very appreciative of the Ubuntu community. None of my Ubuntu loads have taken anywhere near the time and hassle as my last XP loads did. For me the steepest learning curve was finding out exactly what pieces of hardware I had!

So I would like to give a great big thank you to all those selflessly giving time and energy to help neophytes like myself through the process.

Suzanne
7.10 asus A7N8X
Nvidia Gforce 6200 dual monitors
and 2gig RAM....

I now know how little I know.:D

d_fault_user
February 3rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
+1 Jerome1232

I've never seen an operating system as easy to install as this!
Heck, Nero is a tougher install in Windonze!

Granted, I've only used 4 different Linux Distos but... I guess I'll keep trying them all out till' I find the one the guy that started this thread had trouble with.

Every time I installed Ubuntu (Wubi installer or iso) I just load it, select language, select "run within windows" and walk away.

"I would rather have luck than skill":rolleyes: