PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 vs Ubuntu 8.10?

Camilia
February 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
I went on line to order a CD for a friend and received Ubuntu 8.10. I have ubuntu 8.04 on my computer. Now wonder if I should reboot with
ubuntu 8.10.

Does anyone know the difference between the 2? I don't under all that lingo about the new CD on the ubuntu home page.

wilbbe01
February 3rd, 2009, 04:16 AM
Ubuntu 8.10 is newer. I believe the 8 means it was released in 2008, where the 10 means it was released in the 10th month (October). I believe 8.04 is an LTS release which has a longer support period than 8.10. 8.04 is supported until 2011 where 8.10 is supported until 2010. 8.10 is indeed newer by a few months. I would personally go with 8.10 as it is newer and who cares about LTS in a personal environment as it is really easy to reinstall. 8.04 would be more for people who use Ubuntu in a large environment, such as a college or business who do not want to redo everything any more than they have to.

Camilia
February 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
I believe 8.04 is an LTS release which has a longer support period than 8.10.

I read that somewhere. What does this mean?

wilbbe01
February 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
I read that somewhere. What does this mean?
Updates and the like. What is the difference between 2011 and 2010 though? You will either have a new version of Ubuntu to install soon, or you won't have it installed (one or both of which will occur before 2010). You could wait a few months if you don't like reinstalling the OS as there will be a new release here Aprilish I believe.

tuxxy
February 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Ibex has newer xorg, network manager and much more

Camilia
February 3rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Ibex has newer xorg, network manager and much more

I don't what you are talking about. How is this related to ubuntu?

tuxxy
February 3rd, 2009, 04:37 AM
I don't what you are talking about. How is this related to ubuntu?

I was pointing out some differences between Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10

I have ubuntu 8.04 on my computer. Now wonder if I should reboot with
ubuntu 8.10.

Does anyone know the difference between the 2?

Camilia
February 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
What is the difference between 2011 and 2010 though? You could wait a few months if you don't like reinstalling the OS as there will be a new release here Aprilish I believe.

So in April there is an upgrade for ubuntu 8.10? Will I get notification of this? Thus get the icon on the tray and just click on it to download it or do I order the CD?

Wharf Rat
February 3rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
Camilia,
You can upgrade from within 8.04 or download the 8.10 CD.

You might want to download the iso file and burn a 8.10 CD. Boot from it and see if you like 8.10.

I installed 8.10 on my laptop yesterday and I am still learning my way around the system. So far, things seem to work pretty well.

Some of the things I found different are:
* On my Lenovo docking station I can now use the laptop screen for a second screen - not mirrored but actually an extension of the desktop.

* Both wireless and wired connections can be established simultaneously.

wilbbe01
February 3rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
If you compare this to the Microsoft world the difference might be a Service Pack (kind of). The newer "service pack" would be included in 8.10, or you could upgrade your already installed 8.04 (instructions can be foundon the ubuntu site). The newer stuff someone posted earlier is basically just newer versions of software (probably newer features/faster loading/etc. Just as with other operating systems you can still update an older version of the OS even when a new one is out. In this case the newer OS 8.10 will not be able to be updated (with security updates and such), like the older 8.04 (1 year longer). The benefit of the newer would be, as I mentioned earlier more features or better functionality, where the older is proven, stable, and likely only to need security updates for the most part.

Crafty Kisses
February 3rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
So in April there is an upgrade for ubuntu 8.10? Will I get notification of this? Thus get the icon on the tray and just click on it to download it or do I order the CD?

Yes you will when the newer release comes out you will.