PDA

View Full Version : There is something seriously wrong with Ubuntu

prizrak
December 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I have one of these (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/accessories/keyboards/kbmku206/) hooked up to my desktop. As you can see there are multimedia buttons on them, well here is my problem. They all work, they all worked out of the box, they all work perfectly. They start the programs I expect them too, they control the volume, and playback. It is not supposed to be easy, everyone says Linux is for geeks and damn near impossible to set up. I mean for crying outloud I could never get those keys to work in Windows, why do they have to work in Linux?
Yes newbies, Ubuntu is easy and it DOES work well out of the box, just make sure it can support your box. Hope that cheered some of yous up ;)

spdl
December 19th, 2005, 05:15 PM
LOL hehe Cool!

Bandit
December 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I agree Linux is much easier then windows..
It takes me forever to set everyting up on windows.
Then you have to worry about keybaord program crashing another program.
The you have to worry about video drivers, then sound drivers..

My wife was running XP on her HP machine. Well last monday she went ot use her computer and when she touched the keyboard it fried her mobo.. Think it was from static electricty and the keyboard surface is alluminum.
So I installed a nice little Biostar mATX mobo into her HP that fit perfectly and then told her "WELCOME TO LINUX". There wasnt anyway I was going to be able to install her windows system restore b.s. on her computer.
Heck the last time I ran that stupid CD it took me better part of 8 hours to get her computer to function properly (or as close as you can get in windows).
So I installed Ubuntu 5.10. Low and behold to my amazement. Her 3D video card worked out of the box (GL and all). Her CD burner now works perfectly. To get it to burn CDs before you would always have to reboot windows before burning. Her sound works perfectly and best of all her multipurpose card reader that reads all those memorey cards like her camera WORK PERFECTLY and they are labeled. So now there is no guessing which card slot we have her cameras memcard in..

Only things I had to manualy do was turn her UDMA on her DVD/CD-RW drive.

Cheers,
Joey

arctic
December 19th, 2005, 05:56 PM
You will reconsider your statement about Linux being easy if you install and configure Slackware or LFS. :p

Ride Jib
December 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM
This is completely unacceptable. I want to know who is responsible for this...

sapo
December 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Yes, linux shouldnt be used by mere mortals like you!

Ubuntu have to die!

prizrak
December 19th, 2005, 07:08 PM
You will reconsider your statement about Linux being easy if you install and configure Slackware or LFS. :p
I done Gentoo before, I am aware of the ugly side of things :)

earobinson
December 19th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I assume you where trying to get the multimieda keys to work with itunes, itunes only seems to supports logetic keyboards.

winamp suports all keyboards.

LoclynGrey
December 19th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Hey i have a Viewsonic KU709 multimedia keyboard which i'm using under Ubuntu. Out of the 18 or so multimedia keys only 10 work. But I'm not too fussed because I hardly use the multimedia keys anyway.lol (the mouse works for me)
Under windows i'm sure all the multimedia keys worked, I think I tried them all once to see what they did. Not that it matters to me, i'm hardly using windows at all anymore. (in fact only once a month for a very very very very very very very very very short period of time if I can help it)

Iandefor
December 19th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I have that keyboard! How did you get multimedia keys to work with it?

KLineD
December 19th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Not only easier by default, but prettier!

prizrak
December 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I have that keyboard! How did you get multimedia keys to work with it?
I didn't they just work for some reason. They didn't work with Winamp or anything but WMP maybe on Windows.

xequence
December 19th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Yes, but those are just harder versions of linux :P You can get a harder version of installing windows too... Its where you take some folders from your windows folder in the hard drive and make an install CD with it :P (Its very possible. I have one of them...)

UbuWu
December 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hey i have a Viewsonic KU709 multimedia keyboard which i'm using under Ubuntu. Out of the 18 or so multimedia keys only 10 work. But I'm not too fussed because I hardly use the multimedia keys anyway.lol (the mouse works for me)

You should file a bug about it anyway... they should all work.

M3ta7h3ad
December 19th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I didn't they just work for some reason. They didn't work with Winamp or anything but WMP maybe on Windows.

You just needed to turn on "global hot keys" option in winamp preferences. Pretty much any keyboard will work fine with it then.

prizrak
December 19th, 2005, 09:21 PM
You just needed to turn on "global hot keys" option in winamp preferences. Pretty much any keyboard will work fine with it then.
Must be the new bloated AOL infested version, I was using the old school 2.91 version it was nice and light and didn't open 200 windows when I selected 200 files and hit enter (even tho I had it set to not allow multiple instances). :)

mcduck
December 19th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Well, I had to do lots of tweaking to get my multimedia keys working. But this is the first time they work since I replaced win98 with win2k!

With windows this stupid keyboard (old Compaq one) needs drivers, and there are no drivers made for any later windows versions than 98, so no hope there...

With Ubuntu some of the keys worked out-of-box, and the rest I got working with manually mapping keys to keycodes. Not that I ever use them, but I hated having loads of nonfunctioning keys.. ;)

That's about all I have needed to tweak with Ubuntu, all the rest worked right after install. No need to say that I was amazed :) (well, it took some time to figure out that instead of mixing all sound so Dolby Digital stream to digital output, my soundcard now works as two separate sound interfaces.. But that's even better, as I can now listen music with digital output to my amplifier, and at the same time play games using analog outputs for game sounds :D )

Bandit
December 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Hmm.. Been using Linux since Slack7 in 1999 when I was assistant security manager at a ISP back home.
Used it a few times before that but not constasntly.
And yea, I have been trying to teach my self to build my on system from scratch.
I have both LFS and BLFS book printed out, but I missing something in the books when I try to buidl my own.. Its a learning process that I am determined to achieve by the end of 2006. I realy want my own distro so bad I cant stand it.
Right now my only real hold up is that I need another PC.
Cheers,
Joey