PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] graphics and openGL

rcshah
February 3rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hi:
I am slowly progressing...I appreciate the help.

I've an old Toshiba Satellite with NVIDIA graphics card. However I don't know the particular card. I did receive a driver update suggesting I use the proprietary NVIDIA driver, however after doing that I no longer saw anything on bootup. I reinstalled the OS.

Though I'm okay without enhanced desktop, ultimately I need OpenGL functioning. For the moment when I install an application requiring this, it tells me that it does not find the expected folders for OpenGL. I understand this isn't a program - but I'm not quite clear on how to have this/activate OpenGL.

Could anyone help me understand these (seemingly related) graphics issues?
Rahul

taurus
February 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
Run this command from a terminal to see exactly which graphic card you have.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

lspci | grep VGA
And I assume you installed the nvidia driver from System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers?

rcshah
February 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go] (rev a3)

I installed from the manager as you said (and I am starting to get the impression that this can cause problems?)

taurus
February 3rd, 2009, 04:22 AM
Which driver version (nvidia) did you install?

rcshah
February 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I installed NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (vers 96). This caused my monitor to go blank and not knowing how to resolve this, I reinstalled Ubuntu--thus now I am back to the default Ubuntu driver off the LIVE CD.

rcshah
February 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I have resolved the problem by using this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880787

Specifically for my card I needed to go in an modify xorg.conf as detailed in the above link (first post).

Thanks for your help!