PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Windows 7 and Kubuntu

poetofzwan
February 3rd, 2009, 12:34 AM
Does anyone know how difficult it is to install Kubuntu on a system that has Windows 7 already installed?

I heard that the bootloader has been changed.

jimv
February 3rd, 2009, 01:10 AM
It doesn't matter what Windows 7's bootloader is. Installing Kubuntu will replace it with the GRUB bootloader.

poetofzwan
February 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
It doesn't matter what Windows 7's bootloader is. Installing Kubuntu will replace it with the GRUB bootloader.

Yeah I know grub is installed, but will Grub recognise my Windows 7 installation?

pirate_tux
February 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah I know grub is installed, but will Grub recognise my Windows 7 installation?

Yes, it will recognise Microsoft crapware. Gnu/Linux is not Windows...

jimv
February 4th, 2009, 12:05 AM
My mistake, I thought you wanted to install over Windows 7. But yes, GRUB should see the Windows install and put an entry in the boot menu for it.

loveandequality
February 9th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Try Wubi.

efflandt
February 9th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Shrink Win7 partition with its own administration tools to free up some space. Then install Ubuntu in the freed up space.

I always prefer creating my own partitions rather than letting automatic partitioning possibly do something unexpected (in the past, 64-bit WinXP beta changed my partition table geometry, and after I fixed that so it could boot, SuSE wanted to change it too, but I caught that before it did).