PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Application Launchers

sidewalkcynic
February 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I have installed several applications from the repositories, but they haven't launchers in the Applications panel, and I have a local install I put in the /opt directory. How do I make launchers for these frequently used applications, and more importantly, for the infrequently used apps that I will forget about if they don't have graphical launchers?

I read about the AWN, but it doesn't seem to work, I launch it and then it flashes in the upper corner then gone, no explaination; besides I don't particularly care for the launcher to be at the bottom of the screen, cause I'm digging the standard Ubuntu configuration.

SunnyRabbiera
February 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
Well keep in mind not all apps have icons or menu lists, especially if they are command line based.

sidewalkcynic
February 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
One of the applications, FreeMind, I had on 7.04 and it had a launcher in the Applications Panel, but it doesn't have a launcher in 8.04.

But, if as you say, if I have to use the Terminal to launch that's my problem then, I guess...

Thanks for the quick response.

sidewalkcynic
February 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
by the way

sudo rm -rf

Is that a result of because the codes were necessary for other things

and/or

could it be used for security to clear the system (happy button) if somebody manually enters the computer system - sort of a spy vs. spy scenario.