PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having problems - just installed

draxz
February 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hello,

I have a windows XP home edition OS with 32 bit, 60 gb and 1 gb ram any

Ubnuntu is also crashing randomly, it freezes and it does not shut down I have to power it down

I have allotted 30 Gb for Ubuntu(istalled within windows) but I have only 1.23GB in C in windows

Do you think its better to install it by giving dual booting.

I also have an Iphone, so can I install itunes. Can I still download softwares say from download.com and still use it in Ubuntu.

cariboo
February 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
You don't have much space for a second OS, I just reinstalled Jaunty and it is taking up 3Gb of my root partition. You need to make more room.

Defrag your Windows partition at least twice and then boot the LiveCD and use System-->Administration-->Partiton Editor to resize your Windows partition.

Windows programs will not work in Linux, There is a windows application layer called WIne that can be installed using Add/Remove Programs or System-->Aministration-->Synaptic Package Manager. Check WineHQ (http://www.winehq.org/) for program compatability.

Jim

draxz
February 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hey,

well actually I just reinstalled XP, so I dont have any thing on other than system files. Do you think 60Gb is less to install a second OS

I want to use Ubuntu as my main OS but yet still have XP just in case. I will try to reinstall Ubuntu and create a dual OS instead of running with in XP.

How much do you think I should leave for XP just to have the OS and the remaining for Ubuntu. I have a 60GB HD