PDA

View Full Version : Hardware incompatibility nuisance

Somenoob
February 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
My brother borrowed my usb WLAN adapter and accidentally broke it, so I went out and bought a new one. I bought one produced by the same manufacturer with a close manufacturing date and on top of that it serves the same purpose, even the model names are similar hence I assumed it's from the same line or branch. It turns out it doesn't work, it's not detected and I can't even find any useful results on google when I search for the product name with Linux [any distro name].

Unsurprisingly it works perfectly under winxp but what bummer. Do most hardware manufacturers think that GNU/Linux users are not a profitable demographic or what? I always seem to fall into the incompatibility hole.

cb951303
February 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
yup, simply there is not enough population to make a profit.

but to be honest, I never "fall into the incompatibility hole", and I purchase a lot of computing hardware. I just pay enough time to research.

mips
February 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
My brother borrowed my usb WLAN adapter and accidentally broke it, so I went out and bought a new one. I bought one produced by the same manufacturer with a close manufacturing date and on top of that it serves the same purpose, even the model names are similar hence I assumed it's from the same line or branch. It turns out it doesn't work, it's not detected and I can't even find any useful results on google when I search for the product name with Linux [any distro name].

The model number meens nothing, the Version numbers should also macth. Manufacturers switch wireless chipsets willy nilly within the same model number.

FuturePilot
February 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM

but to be honest, I never "fall into the incompatibility hole", and I purchase a lot of computing hardware. I just pay enough time to research.

I agree. I always always research hardware before I buy it to make sure it will work with Linux. It has yet to fail me. Every piece of hardware I have bought has worked without problem.

Somenoob
February 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM

I intended to use this on my XP partition, if only ubuntu then I would had done some research beforehand. I was under the impression it would work since my other slightly older adapter worked flawlessly.

Linuxu users are approx. 29 million, isn't that enough to at least make a passable driver?

steeleyuk
February 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
In theory it is but its also very unlikely that 29 million people will purchase your product. Especially for wireless cards, webcams, sound cards, which you can find anywhere.

These companies would be better releasing the specs for the cards and letting the community pick up the work if it requires it.

cb951303
February 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Linuxu users are approx. 29 million, isn't that enough to at least make a passable driver?

Not really. According to internetworldstats.com there are currently 1,463,632,361 internet users. Lets assume there isn't any computer user without internet access. That means approx < %2 of the computer users have linux on their machine. I don't think the profit would cover maintaining an extra hardware driver on a completely new/unknown OS to the manufacturer.

swoll1980
February 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
did you try ndiswrapper