PDA

View Full Version : Being green with Linux

somethingkindawierd
February 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I have read alot of noise lately about Linux as a green operating system. Here are just a few of the pages that come to mind:

http://www.linuxforums.org/misc/linux_goes_green.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9874
http://linuxfoundation.org/en/Green_Linux
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823939
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=730884

It got me wondering how important this is to the linux community at large. Is "being green" as a lifestyle important to Linux users?

Johnsie
February 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'm a very smokey black. I hardly ever turn computers off. I like them to be ready to go when I sit down to them.

I'm also against the idea of the EU forcing those energy saver lightbulbs on us. They take too long to light up properly.

First they went on about 'global warming', but then it got cold so they changed it to 'climate change'. It almost reminds me of the bird flu pandemic and the millennium bug both of which got a lot of hype and never really happened. I think temperatures and weather work in cycles and history would probably show that. Even if we do mess things up then I'm sure mother nature will find a way to repair that, even it it involves wiping out most people for a few hundred years.

sydbat
February 2nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
i'm a very smokey black. I hardly ever turn computers off. I like them to be ready to go when i sit down to them.

I'm also against the idea of the eu forcing those energy saver lightbulbs on us. They take too long to light up properly.

First they went on about 'global warming', but then it got cold so they changed it to 'climate change'. I think temperatures and weather work in cycles and history would probably show that. Even if we do mess things up then i'm sure mother nature will find a way to repair that, even it it involves wiping out most people for a few hundred years.a huge +1!!!

mikjp
February 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Even if we do mess things up then I'm sure mother nature will find a way to repair that, even it it involves wiping out most people for a few hundred years.

Earth will always clear like free markets do?

Greetings,

mikko

eragon100
February 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
a huge +1!!!

+ 1 !!

Couldn't agree more, people should stop their whining! :mad:

steeleyuk
February 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'm also against the idea of the eu forcing those energy saver lightbulbs on us. They take too long to light up properly.

I'm all for it. Incandescent is an extremely old technology that needs to be rid of to progress. Somtimes it takes forcible removal of something to move on...

I'm a very smokey black. I hardly ever turn computers off. I like them to be ready to go when I sit down to them.

S3 standby? That takes about as long to startup from as turning on the monitor and it taking about 2 seconds to light up.

mihai.ile
February 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Well about those energy saver lightbulbs...

I like them because they are very efficient, but I really love the warm light color that an incandescent light produces, so I still use one in my room, despite the others I have that are energy savers...

kevin11951
February 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
S3 standby? That takes about as long to startup from as turning on the monitor and it taking about 2 seconds to light up.

this is probably a stupid question, but is S3 standby any different than generic push-the-button-on-the-laptop standby?

steeleyuk
February 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Don't think its any different... S3 skips the BIOS checks and just loads up whatever is in RAM.

Simian Man
February 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
First they went on about 'global warming', but then it got cold so they changed it to 'climate change'.

That's a common misconception. Global warming involves more extreme temperatures in both summer and winter. The overall trend is to warmer though hence the name. Not only is this an unpleasant change, it results in more extreme storms.

Even if we do mess things up then I'm sure mother nature will find a way to repair that, even it it involves wiping out most people for a few hundred years.

That's something most of us would like to avoid Mmmmkay?

Tibuda
February 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Earth will always clear like free markets do?Yes, mother nature will clear by killing mankind, unless people don't start to do something about it.

FuturePilot
February 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
i'm a very smokey black. I hardly ever turn computers off. I like them to be ready to go when i sit down to them.

First they went on about 'global warming', but then it got cold so they changed it to 'climate change'. It almost reminds me of the bird flu pandemic and the millennium bug both of which got a lot of hype and never really happened. I think temperatures and weather work in cycles and history would probably show that. Even if we do mess things up then i'm sure mother nature will find a way to repair that, even it it involves wiping out most people for a few hundred years.

a huge +1!!!

+ 1 !!

couldn't agree more, people should stop their whining! :mad:

+100000

eragon100
February 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
+100000

To the 100000000 Power !!

If you ask me, greenpeace has become like the Free Software Foundation lately: making people afraid by spreading FUD and doing childish acts, and just being generally irritating.

wmcbrine
February 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
That's a common misconception. Global warming involves more extreme temperatures in both summer and winter. The overall trend is to warmer though hence the name.Even more surprising is what a small change in average temperature we're talking about (only a few degrees, much less even than daily variation), but how devastating that small change can be.

Incidentally, we've known about global warming for about half a century now. (Though when I say "we", obviously I'm not including the "+1" crowd on this thread. I'm glad to see they remain in the minority in the poll, no matter how big they make their fonts.)

lukjad
February 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I try to save electricity, and I turn of the lights and computer whenever I won't be using them for a while. I'm not an extremist though.

Simian Man
February 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
even more surprising is what a small change in average temperature we're talking about (only a few degrees, much less even than daily variation), but how devastating that small change can be.

Incidentally, we've known about global warming for about half a century now. (though when i say "we", obviously i'm not including the "+1" crowd on this thread. I'm glad to see they remain in the minority in the poll, no matter how big they make their fonts.)

+10000000

:)

eragon100
February 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
I wonder if there is a way to make fonts any bigger? Or will I need to post some images? :D

CraigPaleo
February 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Well about those energy saver lightbulbs...

I like them because they are very efficient, but I really love the warm light color that an incandescent light produces, so I still use one in my room, despite the others I have that are energy savers...

Color's really not a problem any more. Just buy the soft white rather than the daylight compact fluorescent bulbs. I even actually find GE soft whites to be a little too warm. I prefer Sylvania or n:Vision.

Barrucadu
February 3rd, 2009, 12:10 AM
I couldn't really care less; it would be nice to save electricity, and I intend to get solar panels and suchlike on my future house, but only to save money.

smartboyathome
February 3rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
My family's business is built off of being green. My parents are remodlers, and they are part of a green building commitee. I had to help them do a presentation on green building for the business, and have become pretty educated in it myself. What amazes me is how easy it is to be green with a minimal amount of effort. It is just laziness which keeps people from being green.

spcwingo
February 3rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
I'm one of the ones who don't believe the hype. In my area we run strictly on hydro power so I don't see how conserving electricity (or not) would have any impact on my environment.

CholericKoala
February 3rd, 2009, 01:26 AM
Nuclear power plants ftw. They are safe (unless we are idiots) efficient and last a looooong time. Power isnt a problem. Our inability to use our resources more efficiently is a problem.

cardinals_fan
February 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I believe in environmental protection through simplicity and logic, not warm-and-cuddly advertisements or panicky whimpering. I don't believe in waste or excessive consumption, but if I really cared, I wouldn't be wasting power posting this.

What I hate is people who talk about saving the planet. We are trying to save ourselves and the ecosystems we depend on, not the Earth. It can take care of itself.

I'm a supporter of nuclear power.

By the way, Linux is only "green" if it is actually used to rescue old PCs. Otherwise, Windows is very hibernation-friendly.

JordyD
February 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM
Nuclear power plants ftw. They are safe (unless we are idiots) efficient and last a looooong time. Power isnt a problem. Our inability to use our resources more efficiently is a problem.

Where do you put the radioactive waste? It's not going away anytime soon.

CholericKoala
February 3rd, 2009, 01:45 AM
Where do you put the radioactive waste? It's not going away anytime soon.

Well we can ask every European country what they do. I believe the lifetime of the depleted rods are very, very long, and so the "waste" would build up very slowly. Once we actually get a substantial amount...send it to the sun, but that would take thousands of years since you can get a century of power from one little rod of depleted plutonium. Currently, the US has the used up rods stored in a bunker.

In short, waste isnt a problem since it is so little. Once again, stinking efficient.

wmcbrine
February 3rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
They are safe (unless we are idiots)There's the rub, eh?

CholericKoala
February 3rd, 2009, 02:56 AM
There's the rub, eh?

haha :p

Chernobyl wasn't just a freak accident ;)