PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and Thunderbird extensions

DeMus
February 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I am sure all of you use some kind of extensions in the Firefox webbrowser and Thunderbird e-mail program. Which one do you use? Which one is a do, which one is a don't?
Please write here what you are using so we all can benefit from it.

I like the "reloadevery" extension. It gives you a small arrow next to the reload button in the toolbar. When you click it a menu drops down in which you can select the interval between reloading pages in the current tab.
In the forums it comes handy because after xx seconds you have the latest list of threads. When clicking a thread, use the ctrl-key to open a new tab in which the reload function is not activated. You now can read and even write your comment to the thread. Close the tab and return to the list which is updated automatically.

Johnsie
February 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Everyone else will say stumbleupon

I also use aardvark

However on my desktop at home I've gone back to IE8 because it is being more reliable (my FF installation keeps crashing)

mcduck
February 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Here's a list (in order of importance):

Adblock+ --no ads on my browser. Just the actual content I was looking for, please. :)

Web Developer Toolbar --Pretty much a must tool for every web developer. Makes my life a lot easier.

Tab Mix Plus --adds couple of extra controls for tabs, I use it to get all links to other sites to open in their own tabs automatically & for couple of other extra features to tabbed browsing.

Stylish --lets you write your own CSS for web pages. I use it for some sites I visit regularly that have some annoying design solutions, like forums not using the full screen width.

Linkification --just a nice extra, changes all urls into links so I don't have to get annoyed when people don't know how to post links to forums.

imlinux
February 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
for firefox
adblock+
extended statusbar
stumble upon
locationbar2
nightly tester tools
novell moonlight
speed dial
customize google
faster fox
dns prefetch.

smothpocket
February 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
noscript FTW!

I can't browse the web without it now... no more random talking ads. No more blinking flash offers, no javascript popups (especially the annoying ones that re size to cover the entire screen)

Dragonbite
February 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Firefox

Adblock Plus
Server Spy

Thunderbird

Google-contacts
Lightning Calendar
Google-calendar

Tibuda
February 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Epiphany is my main browser, but I keep Firefox just because of one extension: Firebug. It is the best web development tool I ever used.

conehead77
February 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
AutoPager - Scrolling Google search results instead of clicking 2 - 3 - etc. Works with a lot of other sites too (including ubuntuforums).

WSmart
February 3rd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Autopager is buggy, but it's a revolutionary idea. It loads your pages before you need them. I'm surprised this thread got so far without mentioning it. It's a huge difference in the browser experience to be able to just keep on scrolling down without clicking any buttons, one page, two pages, three, four, and entire article all on one seamless, scrollable page.

Tabs was the last revolutionary step in browser usability, but that was back when computers had 256MB of memory and sub ghz CPU's.

DeMus -Does Flash work on that 64 bit system?

cardinals_fan
February 3rd, 2009, 03:34 AM
Firefox extensions:

Vimperator
NoScript
Greasemonkey
Stylish

Firestem4
February 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
NoScript
FlashGot
FoxyProxy (don't use it often)
PopupMaster
CustomizeGoogle (to remove analytics and tracking since I use all sorts of google products)

blueshiftoverwatch
February 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Firefox:
1-ClickWeather (shows the weather)
Copy Plain Text (copies text without formatting)
Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer
FoxyProxy (GUI took for configuring proxies)
MeasureIt (ruler tool)
MR Tech Toolkit (adds various functionality)
NoScript (disables unwanted JavaScript)
Ubuntu Firefox Modifications

Thunderbird:
Enigmail (OpenPGP encryption)

shadowdude1794
February 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Firefox:
Add nEdit Cookies
CookieWatcher
DTA
Firebug
Firecookie
Fireftp
FireNes
Firetorrent
Fission
Geode
Inquisitor
meebo
PDF Download
Read It Later
Site Launcher
Splash
StumbleUpon
Tab Mix Plus
Ubiquity
Unplug
User Agent Switcher

Rokurosv
February 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
TwitterFox
Firebug
AdblockPlus
WebDeveloper
Flashgot
FireFTP
Firecookie
Greasemonkey

DeMus
February 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Autopager is buggy, but it's a revolutionary idea. It loads your pages before you need them. I'm surprised this thread got so far without mentioning it. It's a huge difference in the browser experience to be able to just keep on scrolling down without clicking any buttons, one page, two pages, three, four, and entire article all on one seamless, scrollable page.

Tabs was the last revolutionary step in browser usability, but that was back when computers had 256MB of memory and sub ghz CPU's.

DeMus -Does Flash work on that 64 bit system?

On my system Flash is working. I used this page to get it working:
http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-adobe-flash-10-on-a-64bit-ubuntu-8.04

After following all the steps necessary look in about:plugins and you see what is in the attached picture.

dBuster
February 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Anyone know how to remove flashgot? I disable and restart then try to uninstall and restart and it will not uninstall!

Really getting tired of trying to remove this unwanted extension. Sure there are benefits of it but I do not want to be tied to HAVING TO use it. Would rather remove it and then add when and if I want it back.