PDA

View Full Version : My poor poor kitty! I hit him!

dragos240
February 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Ok, i snuck out of bed at 12 in the morn' because i believe that time shouldn't be wasted, i always have a cup of coffee and drink a carnation which has all the daily things for the day, i think its okay, and so my cat is a maniac when it comes to food, so he always goes into the bottom cabinate and bangs it, i couldn't have that with my mom sleeping upstairs, i went over with his favorite cat toy and swatted him in the head, he fell back and ran away, i've been calling him down for a few minuites now and he's not responding like he normally does. I shouldn't of done that, does this mean i'll never get his trust back? I hope thats not the case. And i know i made spelling errors.

ratmandall
February 2nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
He will never love you AGAIN! :o

dragos240
February 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM

Really? That stinks, i loved that guy. :-(

jrusso2
February 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
That's evul man. Poor Kitty.

xpod
February 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
I`m sure the poor cat will have his revenge.

Sealbhach
February 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
He'll be a bit wary for a while but you can regain his trust. I used to experiment with our cat to see how high I could drop him and if he would still land on his feet - I hurted him when he fell badly, poor thing and he wouldn't come near me for about a week. I still feel bad about that. Eventually he trusted me again.

dragos240
February 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
He'll be a bit wary for a while but you can regain his trust. I used to experiment with our cat to see how high I could drop him and if he would still land on his feet - I hurted him when he fell badly, poor thing and he wouldn't come near me for about a week. I still feel bad about that. Eventually he trusted me again.

Phew.

Bölvağur
February 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
consuming dairy products or any fat rich food before sleep boosts ones fat accumulation... perhaps the cat is just demonstrate your eating habits and really does love you.

dragos240
February 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
consuming dairy products or any fat rich food before sleep boosts ones fat accumulation... perhaps the cat is just demonstrate your eating habits and really does love you.

Err okay.

EDIT: He's fine now, i think he was just stunned.

meborc
February 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
don't worry, he will pee in your shoes and all will be squared out

i would put my favorite pair of shoes in his sandbox just to be sure the revenge is done quickly and under controlled circumstances... if he still does not pee in you shoe, try holding the cat up in the air above the shoe for a long while... be sure to let him drink a lot of milk before trying this though, or you will get soon bored and abort the mission...

the best way to make friends with animals - DON'T HIT THEM!

Divider
February 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Sudo apt-get install newcat catlib1

Sealbhach
February 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
man cat

loell
February 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
cat /usr/bin/man

dragos240
February 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
yes very funny.

gnomeuser
February 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM

It's my experience that cats don't love anyone but themselves, they will tolerate human control so long as they feed them. Should the stream of food, goodies and cat toys cease they will find new masters quicker than you can say catnip.

missbliss
February 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
So, why were you getting up at 12:00 a.m.?? When do you go to sleep?

PartisanEntity
February 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Just make sure you don't send your cat to:

/dev/null

ELD
February 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Dude your evil, swatting your cat? dude...

ikisham
February 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
It's my experience that cats don't love anyone but themselves, they will tolerate human control so long as they feed them. Should the stream of food, goodies and cat toys cease they will find new masters quicker than you can say catnip.

Yes they are affectionate! Research the significant 'Christian, the lion' story.

ELD
February 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yes they are affectionate! Research the significant 'Christian, the lion' story.

They are, my dads old cat which his ex has won't leave him alone if he goes over, stares him out until he strokes him.

FuturePilot
February 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM

I've found my cat to be the exact opposite.

dj722000
February 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Fortunate for you, I think? He will trust you again but only to a point. Just seek him out and start petting him. Maybe put some kitty treats in your hand and let him come to you. Guranteed, he will get his revenge. Cats dont forget trust me. When he does get his revenge, stop and think when you go to scold him.

sydbat
February 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
I don't know about the revenge thing. Sure it happens, but the event has to be significant enough. Bopping your cat on the head with a cat toy once shouldn't produce "revenge". However, if this were a regular thing, the cat would get tired of it and do something.

CraigPaleo
February 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
The next time you have the urge to get up at midnight, smack yourself in the head with one of your toys and go back to bed. :)

brainac0cult
February 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
make it up to him with food

MaxIBoy
February 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
From what I know of cats, they forgive you for anything.

gaffurabi
February 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
I've tortured my grandpa's cat many times and when it comes to food he always circled around me.

dragos240
February 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
He hates kitty treats, but he loves normal food.

Keyper7
February 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM

Cats are like Ubuntu: your mileage may vary and you can't generalize based on your own experience.

Okay, not the best analogy ever but, you know, bad analogies are like red cucumbers.

tubezninja
February 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM

I think the first mistake is to see cat-human interactions as one of control. You simply can't "control" a cat. They're not dogs, and obedience = reward isn't the way their brains are wired.

Cats have a pretty remarkable repertoire of emotions, and they also have more intelligence than most people give them credit for. As long as a cat owner keeps that in mind, they can usually get along just fine.

There's also some common sense things. A cat can grow really fond of the humans they live with, and will even miss them if the cat senses a trusted friend of theirs has left for an unusually long time. But if the food and treats cease, well, a cat can't subsist on emotional attachment alone, no more than a human can. Eventually, your stomach will win out and you're going to have to go where the food is.

dragos240: Your cat was just a little stunned because he didn't expect you to do that, that's all. He wanted to make sure you weren't going to do it again, and he's probably forgotten about it by now. I wouldn't repeat it though. He's not going to learn to not bang the door that way, he'll just learn that you're now the guy who hits him really hard in the middle of the night and he should stay away.

There are ways to teach him though. My cat learned how to open tupperware containers. Then I hid a few of these (http://www.amazon.com/BWacky-Jelly-Bean-Snake-Can/dp/B0006GK2C4) in the cupboards. After "hitting the jackpot" a couple times, he's learned to avoid them. :D

ticopelp
February 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Your cat will be fine. Just give him a good petting to make up for it.

dragos240
February 3rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
done, he's very affectionate.

Frak
February 3rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
Most animals will respect you as the pack leader, dogs faster than cats. I give him a week.

fenian
February 3rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
Be afraid.be very afraid. (http://www.catswhothrowupgrass.com/kill.php)

shadowdude1794
February 3rd, 2009, 06:20 AM
the best way to make friends with animals - DON'T HIT THEM!

I'd expand that to Humans too.

pbpersson
February 3rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
You hit him in the head with his favorite toy?!?!?! :o

BAD KITTY PARENT!!

VERY BAD!!!

pbpersson
February 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
From what I know of cats, they forgive you for anything.

I think they just don't remember things very long ;)

Every time one of mine tries to open a door, it is like he has never seen a door before in his life.

Let's see.....how do these things work again??? :confused: