PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does restoring trom tarball accomplish more than restoring from package list?

sofasurfer
February 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I have perfected (to my standards anyway) restoring my system by reinstalling the base system and then reloading my saved package list using 'dpkg'. It takes me about an hour and a quarter and then I just copy from backup, my /home folder. When I'm done it seems that I have a system identicle to my previous system, but without the garbage and clutter that I had aquired

I have backed up my system using tar and rsync. I have not restored my system from them though. But I have restored my /home folder from tar and rsync.

If my system is trashed and unfunctional, I must use a live cd to run restore on the whole system from tar or rsync. Is that how its done?
Ok, that might be faster than the package list method once I get all the step down pat.

But my question is, is there an advantage(besides speed and automation) to using tar or rsync instead of package list reinstallation?

In my understanding, if you have all the packages from package list and you have all your configuration settings by restoring your /home folder, you then have a complete system. Or am I missing something? Is there other config files elsewhere besides /home?

sofasurfer
February 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM
bump?