PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] no gui, need help

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 03:20 AM
I just upgraded to kubuntu 8.10 and decided I didn't like the KDE layout so I did all the stuff to get to the gnome gui, after that I did an update and install a few things, when I restarted my computer the GUI was completely gone and it doesn't let me leave the command line, I need help please, and thanks in advance

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 04:50 AM
also I am wondering how often other people have problems quite like this? I'm sure it's just some simple fix, but I am fresh to ubuntu and still trying to beat that learning curve

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
alright I have been searching around and trying different things so far nothing has worked, I have tried typing gdm in the command line, startx, I tried sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start so far nothing I have tried has worked, I am still stuck in this command line which I have very limited experience with, I seriously need help to resolve this

Neural oD
February 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
are you sure you downloaded all the right files for gnome? One the command line type: sudo apt-get install .....
whatever you were wanting - this should check to see if in fact all the necessary components are installed.

dominiquec
February 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Tried

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop ?

This should get all the necessary packages in.

Neural oD
February 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
that should get everything in - so u saying that u have run that command?

Neural oD
February 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
have u tried typing: sudo gdm from the command line

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Tried

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop ?

This should get all the necessary packages in.

I have tried this and I have also tried sudo gdm and starx, but nothing seems to work, when I sudo gdm it says it's loading the gnome interface, then says ok then that's all that happens it just drops me back into command line, I have tried sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop again to no avial, I have tried going into aptitude and making sure I have all the updates fully installed and all the dependencies met, still nothing

Neural oD
February 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
maybe you're not in the correct tty - have u tried alt-F7 after running that command?

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
no I haven't tried that, I am at work right now and didn't think about bringing in my laptop. so I will have to check that when I get home, I hope that works, because I refuse to head back to windows lol

Neural oD
February 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
well good for u :) - I too have left windows in the scrap heap!

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
alright, I tried the alt-F7 and it changed from being root to being a blank screen with a blinky curser in the top left corner, the accessing hdd light blights every so often, how long does this usually take?

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
it was in tty1 when I was looking at it let me see if I can't get a screen shot in here maybe that will help out

Zom-b
February 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
This is what it looks like after everything is done and loaded

Neural oD
February 3rd, 2009, 07:16 AM
That is weird - have you tried going into the recovery mode when booting up - it should be on the grub menu

Partyboi2
February 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
deleted (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Change%20Boot%20Options%20Temporarily% 20For%20An%20Existing%20Installation)

jimbren
February 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
have you tried

sudo apt-get install -f
or

sudo aptitude install gnome-desktop

I would reboot after each and see what happens.

kisses,

jimbo

Neural oD
February 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Partyboi2 - ?? what is deleted

Partyboi2
February 3rd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Partyboi2 - ?? what is deleted
It means I posted something then changed my mind, as I slightly misread the post.

Neural oD
February 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
kk - I see :)

Zom-b
February 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
have you tried

sudo apt-get install -f
or

sudo aptitude install gnome-desktop

I would reboot after each and see what happens.

kisses,

jimbo

I have tried sudo aptitude also, I also tried just typin aptitude and heading into it and updateing everything to make it current and it didn't help anything.

Zom-b
February 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I only started getting this problem after I installed kubuntu and then tried to switch to ubuntu, I did a sudo apt-get install ubunut-desktop, after it was done I restarted and it worked fine, then I installed compiz and wine, went and restarted my laptop and then I got this problem.

Neural oD
February 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
maybe try: sudo dpkg-reconfigure ubuntu-desktop gdm

Partyboi2
February 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
I only started getting this problem after I installed kubuntu and then tried to switch to ubuntu, I did a sudo apt-get install ubunut-desktop, after it was done I restarted and it worked fine, then I installed compiz and wine, went and restarted my laptop and then I got this problem.
Maybe compiz is causing the problem. Boot into recovery mode and remove compiz

sudo apt-get remove compiz compiz-core