PDA

View Full Version : Defense Department sets up open source repository

I-75
February 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Defense Department sets up open source repository

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/01/defense-department-sets-up-open-source-repository/

The Defense Department has ushered in a new era of government involvement in Open Source software by opening Forge.mil, the DoD equivalent of SourceForge.

mips
February 2nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
According to DoD sources, the project software has been upgraded to meet Department of Defense standards, including the use of smartcards for system authorization.

The code for Bastille, like all Forge.mil code, is open for viewing by the public, even though only those that are behind the improved security can edit or contribute to the code source.

Wonder how Joe Soap goes about getting access. I this truely "open source"?

phrostbyte
February 2nd, 2009, 01:41 AM
The site doesn't seem to be up for me. But that's interesting. It's not the first time the DoD release FOSS though. :)

phrostbyte
February 2nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
Wonder how Joe Soap goes about getting access. I this truely "open source"?

Well that depends on the license. Just because I can't upload stuff into Linus's git repo doesn't make Linux not open source. Otherwise any git can go in break the kernel :)

Polygon
February 2nd, 2009, 02:10 AM
does this mean that anyone can host their open source project at forge.mil, like sourceforge?

and im confused on why they added an 'extra layer of security'....what use does that serve?

I-75
February 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
does this mean that anyone can host their open source project at forge.mil, like sourceforge?

and im confused on why they added an 'extra layer of security'....what use does that serve?

Probably for military/sensitive uses I guess. I found the story rather interesting and was hoping to get more insight into the story myself.

wirepuller134
February 2nd, 2009, 03:00 AM
I think it is actually forgemil.com