PDA

View Full Version : The kids like my Ubuntu Linux.

irv
February 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
I am one of those guys that have computers running all over the house. I have one setup just for the grandkids.Every time one of my 15 grandkids come over, they ask if they can play on my old linux laptop. The reason for this is they can play all the games I have loaded on it, or they can just go to websites like Nickjr.com. I had one of my grandkids say, "Grampa you have one of the best computer ever, I wish we had one like this at home." I tell them it not the computer, it's Ubuntu Linux. Maybe when you get older you can get one of your own.

xpod
February 1st, 2009, 11:38 PM
I am one of those guys that have computers running all over the house. I have one setup just for the grandkids.Every time one of my 15 grandkids come over, they ask if they can play on my old linux laptop. The reason for this is they can play all the games I have loaded on it, or they can just go to websites like Nickjr.com. I had one of my grandkids say, "Grampa you have one of the best computer ever, I wish we had one like this at home." I tell them it not the computer, it's Ubuntu Linux. Maybe when you get older you can get one of your own.

Why wait till their older;)
If they like it and their mom`s & pop`s are ok with it then surely there`s no reason why you couldn`t put a spare box(or 15) together for them,over time of course.:D
I`m not quite at the Gramps stage myself yet but my own children just kinda followed suit with me once i began using Ubuntu.
The first machine they shared amongst themselves here at home always had the XP option at the top of the menu.lst but they`d still choose to boot to Ubuntu.
Thankfully they all have their own machines now so all the childish squabbling over the two computers is no longer a problem.They got quite sick of my whining i think:-\"

adamlau
February 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
I built an Edubuntu boxes for some kids recently, they were OK with it. They were spoiled with the speed of their previously nLite stripped and tuned XP box.