PDA

View Full Version : I am starting the LPI 101 tomorrow

beercz
February 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM
A whole week away from the office learning and playing with linux.

Wooooo!!

Looking forward to it :-)

Also, I will be doing LPI 102 very soon too!!

http://www.lpi.org/eng/certification/the_lpic_program/lpic_1

Wish me luck!

beercz
February 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
A whole week away from the office learning and playing with linux.

Wooooo!!

Looking forward to it :-)

Also, I will be doing LPI 102 very soon too!!

http://www.lpi.org/eng/certification/the_lpic_program/lpic_1

Wish me luck!
Well, that was the plan. Our "etxreme weather event" has postponed it for at least 24 hours.

PriceChild
February 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
How are you preparing for it? I'm currently reading "Exam Cram: LPIC" and playing about as usual, as well as referencing lpi's site. I guess you're travelling for a bootcamp style event?

beercz
March 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I passed!!!!

There was a delay in having my papers marked due to circumstances beyond my control, but I have just got my result.

I did both the LPI 101 and 102 exams, and as I passed them both, I am now officially a Linux Certified Professional - Level 1.

Now considering doing level 2.

Phew!

beercz
March 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
How are you preparing for it? I'm currently reading "Exam Cram: LPIC" and playing about as usual, as well as referencing lpi's site. I guess you're travelling for a bootcamp style event?
Sorry for taking so long to reply PriceChild, I missed your message.

I read the Sybex LPIC level 1 study guide (which covers both 101 and 102 exams) then I did two training courses - the first for 101 and the second for 102. After each course I sat the exam.

On top of this I messed around with linux systems (mainly on the command line) on several (not all ubuntu) linux machines that I am fortunate enough to have access to.

Despite all this preparation, whist attending the courses, I still found there was stuff I still didn't know (dial up networking - via the command line - for example).

You can just take the exams of course - but I think if I did that I would have failed. I found the exams not that straight forward as they use psychometric techniques in the examination.

If you are considering becoming certified then good luck!

PriceChild
March 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Still slowly dipping into the book and other places when I get the chance, though using linux/unix the entire working day so not exactly out of practice. How much did those courses set you back?

beercz
March 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Still slowly dipping into the book and other places when I get the chance, though using linux/unix the entire working day so not exactly out of practice. How much did those courses set you back?
£1095 for each 4 day course including exam.

If you need any tips or advice, or have any questions about the LPI examination process, please feel free to ask, either via the forums or via pm.

beercz
March 25th, 2009, 10:12 AM
When I got home last night my 11 year old son called me a "Linux Geezer" :-)

Sealbhach
March 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Congratulations! What does being a Linux Certified Professional - Level 1 entitle you to do?

That course was really expensive. :eek:

beercz
March 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Congratulations! What does being a Linux Certified Professional - Level 1 entitle you to do?

That course was really expensive. :eek:

Thanks.

See http://www.lpi.org/eng/certification/faq/general_faq

I thought the courses were relatively cheap compared to some, e.g: http://www.firebrandtraining.co.uk/uk/pricing_confirmation.asp - they quote £3250 for both courses! (not sure if that includes the exam fees or not)

PriceChild
March 25th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think that price is reasonable compared to what's out there... but I wouldn't pay for it out of my own pocket. If my company wanted to foot the bill then I wouldn't stop them ;)

beercz
March 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I think that price is reasonable compared to what's out there... but I wouldn't pay for it out of my own pocket. If my company wanted to foot the bill then I wouldn't stop them ;)
I paid for it myself. I wanted to get the certification and I wanted to make sure I pass.

Education ain't cheap!

mafitzpatrick
April 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
If anyone else is taking the exam, you might find the following useful:

LPI 101 (http://www.spenglr.com/subjects/303/questions)
LPI 102 (http://www.spenglr.com/subjects/302/questions)

Spenglr is a new site I've set up for test preparation with practise tests, resources, etc. to try and help direct your learning. It's open source (hosted on launchpad (https://launchpad.net/spenglr)) and all the content is GFDL - so feel free to use the content some other way if it would help :). Likewise, contributions are much appreciated.

beercz
April 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I am now beginning to think about doing level 2 certification. Can anyone recommend any good study guides?

Thanks.

selectron
January 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hello, beercz! Happy New year! :KS
I'm starting to prepare for LPI-101, 102. What can you talk about the exam process (how many questions, labs etc... ?).
I have the book "LPIC-1 Study guide" but I don't have the many for LPI course. What do you think about this book? Does it have all information for preparetion to LPI-1? Thaks a lot! :cool:

beercz
January 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
I'm starting to prepare for LPI-101, 102. What can you talk about the exam process (how many questions, labs etc... ?).
I have the book "LPIC-1 Study guide" but I don't have the many for LPI course. What do you think about this book? Does it have all information for preparetion to LPI-1? Thaks a lot! :cool:
Hi selectron
I believe the LPI 101 & 102 requirements last April (09), and I did my exams in March - just before the syllabus changed.

I also have the LPIC-1 Study Guide, and I found the content pretty straight forward for me - I knew most of the stuff in there. The revision exercises and sample exam questions were really useful for me, as were sample exam questions and papers from the Internet I downloaded. Your book (and mine) may be slightly out of date now because of the change in syllabus.

As far as the exam is concerned, there were two, one for LPI-101 and LPI-102 - I took each exam after completing each module. The exams were about 65 (the number varies) multiple choice or short word answers (like what command, without any arguments, would you use to list the contents of the current directory (ls)). The mulitple choice questions my have more than one answer ("Which of the following ...." compared to "Which three of the following ...." or "Which one of the following ....") - read the questions carefully!

The exams weren't that difficult really, and you have more time than you think. I would learn as much as you can about the command line and linux commands/linux directory structure/users groups and permissions/vi(m)/networking (TCP/IP)/mounting and unmounting/basic shell scripting/cron and so on. The LPI Study Guide should cover everything you need to know.

Hope that all helps and good luck!

I am hoping to do my level 2 when I can find the time. Difficult when one is self-employed.

jamaas
February 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking about doing the 101, 102 certification exams as well. I note your comments about syllabus changes, can anyone tell us if there are recent and current study guides that go with the new syllabus? I see that the a book that is often recommended "LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition" was released in 2006. Would love to know some good current study guides ... TIA.

Jim

selectron
March 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I note your comments about syllabus changes...
Jim

What is syllabus?

audiomick
March 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
syllabus is the stuff that is covered in a course of study.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllabus

altariel
March 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I am now beginning to think about doing level 2 certification. Can anyone recommend any good study guides?

Thanks.

The only ones I have so far managed to track down are all german. Fortunately I do speak and read german fluently as well ...

But all the other stuff out there doesn't seem too well adapted to the new objectives which came 2009-04-01 ...

I did get ISBN 978-3-937514-88-8

LPIC-2
(3. Auflage September 2009)
ISBN: 978-3-937514-88-8
Anke Börnig, Thomas Korber, Mario van der Linde
ordered it directly from OpenSource Press and got it within two business days!

and am considering the apparently five-part series by Hans Baier and Gabriel Lobstein "redmond's LINUX training LPI " 201:1-2 202:1-3 (this seems to be the updated versions at least)

Tom Tiger
March 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM

I've got the LPI-1, Ubuntu(LPI 199) and LPI-2, I highly recommend the big O'reilly book, LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell, plus building a Linux system, nothing fancy, just build a system.

appropriator
June 24th, 2010, 06:06 PM
IT Exam Practice is a portal for online exams (including LPI exams) that is built and maintained by a network of volunteers. LPI 101/102 exams are also available - http://www.itexampractice.org