PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] keep losing monitor on install

hansmax
February 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
I'm pretty new at this. I previously had a problem on a dual boot install of 8.04. At about 73% of the install, the monitor goes black. At that time, with some help from this forum, I hit control/alt/F1 and got into that page where I checked to fix X. That worked to a certain extent, but it seemed to come and go. This time I installed 8.10 on the same partition, and the monitor went black at the same time (about 73%). I tried the fix x routine, but when I booted, I was at a screen that said I was in limited or low graphics mode, and I could not figure out a way to get past that screen. On the first install I was using an old CRT monitor, this time it was a new widescreen LCD. I am really eager to get into Ubuntu and have learned a lot already, but this is discouraging. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

hansmax
February 3rd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Or how about this - does anyone know of any other distributions of Linux where this issue is not a problem? After googling quite a bit, it seems that this is a pretty big issue for Ubuntu, at least for the computer I'm trying to get it working on with an Nvidia display adapter. I can't see a way around it without trial and erroring for the next two months. If I could get some kind of display, or find some instruction on dealing with it from a console (if I can get to one), I might have a chance, but right now it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I just don't have the expertise or experience to work around it and although I have found lots of documentation in this and other forums, I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to even find square one to troubleshoot from. Any reply would be appreciated.