PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Unpacking with right-click?

MaX
February 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Am I the only one who unzips, unrar, zip, bz2 etc with the right mouse button? Like extract here?

Why can't I do that with a right-click-drag to another folder?
If you want that functionality, please confirm my bug #497247 (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=497247)

Hooya
February 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
What file manager are you using? In Thunar for instance (XFCE and Fluxbox) there's the "thunar-archive-plugin" that does just what you suggest. My guess is that there is a similar package for your file viewer.

I'm pretty sure it's already built in for KDE, maybe Nautilus under Gnome needs one of those packages.

MaX
February 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I use Nautilus, it's possible for me to right-click and choose "Extract here" but that's not what I'm after.

I want to be able to right-click and drag to another folder then release and say extract here. Does that work in Thunar?

Hooya
February 5th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Yes. I had never tried this before, but sure enough, exactly the function you are describing works like a charm in Thunar with that other package I described installed.

Important Edit: No, wait, it doesn't. The option seems to appear, but it still just extracts to the directory your original zip file is in. But what you can do, is right click, drag the file to the destination folder and the "Link Here" option does put a link in that destination folder. You can right click the newly formed link and say "extract here" and it extracts to that directory. An extra step, but much faster than copying a large zip file across partitions or something.