View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot start Ubuntu from Live CD or Wubi

Fraser Cameron
February 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I have recently been trying to install Ubuntu on my computer alongside Windows XP SP3. On selecting the first option of the live CD, I am presented with the Ubuntu splash screen, which hangs at around 15% for a while before giving a whole load of 'permission denied' and failed execution errors. I have tried versions 7.10, 8.04, and 8.10 - all with the same problem. In addition, the CD in the drive seems to stop spinning after a few seconds of the hang.

I have tried the CDs on my other computer, and all of them work without any problems. The computer I am having the problems with is a Dell Dimension 2300 - P4 2.00GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hitachi DeskStar HDD, ATI RADEON 7000 Series, Linksys Wireless b/g Network Card. The other computer is AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB RAM, 80GB WD HDD, ATI RADEON 9000 Series.

Any help would be appreciated on this.


February 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Have you tried another CD-drive in the problematic computer?

Other things worth trying:
1) burn another CD, and burn it at low speed
2) put the harddisk in another computer, install Ubuntu on that harddisk, then put back the harddisk.

Fraser Cameron
February 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have tried both CD drives in this computer. I'll try burning the CD at a lower speed tomorrow, but I doubt it will work - I had the same issue trying to start versions 8.10 and 8.04-2 after installing through Wubi a few months ago on the old 20GB WD hard drive. Wubi 8.04-1 successfully installed and booted, however.

I might consider the 2nd option if all else fails, although it isn't really a practical soloution to be messing around with the family computer. I have a Fedora Core 9 disc that installs and boots fine, but Ubuntu has always been my preferred distro.

Thanks again,

Fraser Cameron
February 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Tonight I was able to start my computer and install from the Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD. I took out one of the memory modules that was in my computer when I acquired it - leaving me with 512MB. On reinserting the module, the problem returns. I have emailed Crucial about this and I'm currently awaiting a reply.