PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE4 - No file Meta Info?

lodp
February 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
Is anybody else missing the file meta information feature that KDE 3.5x had? Like, when you right-clicked some media file and went to properties, it would show how long it plays, the codec and screen resolution. It would also show these things in the right panel in Dolphin.

Why isn't this part of KDE4 yet? When is it coming back?

lodp
February 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Come on - nobody else is missing this? Another example would be EXIF information of photos: Dolphin in KDE 3.5 would display resolution, date etc. in the right-hand panel and the tooltip, in KDE4 it doesn't do that.

It's just so odd that they would drop such a thing without a reason..

lesholt
February 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM
By itself this is only an annoyance but when you consider the following, this becomes a serious problem. When you do a copy/paste and get a file exist box there is no data about either file. There is no size, no created or modified date and no meta data what so ever. I know the data is there, because Easytag will show it and will even edit it.
I tried dolphin, krusader, Konqueror, Commander and Thunar For the most part I got the same result from the first four, no size, no date no help. Thunar will at least show the size and the date, but still no meta data.

I have a few more to check and failing that I will boot up in gnome and see if any of them work on that side. If that doesn't work then it is time to install Susie or Fadora.

I like Kubuntu and would like to keep using it, but this bug is just too big to overlook.

lodp
April 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I don't think it's a bug -- it's just a feature that's missing. And it's so strange that there isn't more talk about it, it's a major omission..

kaleidos
June 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I totally agree. The lack of this feature is a major embarassment when showing kde to windows people, and a big annoyance in any other case. I hope kde 4.3 will add it...

lodp
June 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Its funny -- just today I noticed that Dolphin now shows some meta info in the sidebar (image resolution, some tags for mp3s, but no codec info on videos). That's definitely a sign that things have been implemented under the hood..

while i'm at it -- why are there no id tags on videos, similar to the ones on audio files? anybody know that? I can't be the only one with a growing collection of video files, and they're a pain to organize..

krazyd
June 4th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Its funny -- just today I noticed that Dolphin now shows some meta info in the sidebar (image resolution, some tags for mp3s, but no codec info on videos). That's definitely a sign that things have been implemented under the hood..
This (http://nepomuk.kde.org/) is still being implemented. Expect more in KDE 4.3 (see the 10th item in this table (http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.3_Feature_Plan#kdebase-apps)).

while i'm at it -- why are there no id tags on videos, similar to the ones on audio files? anybody know that? I can't be the only one with a growing collection of video files, and they're a pain to organize..
There are - unless you use the archaic AVI format (which is still used everywhere unfortunately).
Other video containers such as MP4, MKV, OGM etc. have metadata. See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats).