PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Conflicting Update Notices

imag1narynumber
February 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm running Ubuntu Studio (Intrepid). Running the apt-get update/upgrade deal on the command line, I'm notified that four packages are being held back.

linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic linux-restricted-modules-generic

However, the "update manager" shows the red exclamation point and lists eight packages to update

linux-generic (2KB) linux-headers-2.6.27-11 (5MB) linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic (618KB) linux-headers-generic (2KB) linux-image-2.6.27-11-generic (22MB) linux-image-generic (2KB) linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-11-generic (748KB) linux-restricted-modules-generic (2KB)

I would normally trust the command line over the gui,but which is correct? And can I get these two to agree again? Thanks in advance!

lloyd_b
February 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
IIRC, some of those are "meta-packages", which simply point to other packages. For instance:

linux-headers-generic -> linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic -> linux-headers-2.6.27-11
I think the GUI is simply showing you a little more information regarding what's happening "under the hood" than the command line. Regardless of which way you actually upgrade, you'll wind up installing the same stuff.

(BTW: you'll have to do a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to get the command line to install those)

imag1narynumber
February 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Excellent, thanks for the help and the quick reply! I shall do so.