PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Temporarily lose keyboard control

yodermk
February 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Hi,

For some reason I occasionally lose the ability to use the keyboard temporarily. The mouse functions fine and the computer is otherwise functional. Only keyboard strokes don't take. I can bang on the keyboard all I want, and nothing happens. No typing, no keyboard window switching.

Exceptions are X meta keys, such as Ctrl-F1 to go to a text mode console. That works fine, and I can use the keyboard in the console. Switching back into X, the problem resumes. Also, desktop effects meta-keys work. I can for example hold down Ctrl-Meta to get the circle of stars around the pointer.

Normally the problem goes away after a while (usually a few minutes), though I'm honestly not sure if it simply came back by itself, or if it was some key combination I magically banged on. I think it was usually shortly after clicking another window in the panel. But it's not reproducible. Once I simply gave up and rebooted.

This happens on average maybe every 2 or 3 days.

I'm using Kubuntu Intrepid, and have Desktop Effects enabled. Computer is a laptop with an external USB keyboard and an external display. It has been running Kubuntu since Feisty, and this has never happened before Intrepid. (Though on the plus side, I had a few hard freezes in Hardy, those are now gone.)

Any ideas?