PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates's "jihad" against Linux

phrostbyte
February 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
I don't know if this is posted here before, but I found it rather interesting:

http://boycottnovell.com/2009/01/30/microsoft-intel-anti-linux/

This gives you an idea of how the upper management in Microsoft viewed or attack Linux.

Executive summary:
- This is based on evidence gathered during the Iowa vs Microsoft anti-trust case, a case where they eventually settled for something like $500 million dollars in cash.
- Bill Gates uses the word "jihad" to describe the companies activities against Linux.
- E-mails between upper management in the company suggest they are trying to push Intel away from supporting or investing in Linux (
- E-mails between upper management suggest that Microsoft has plants in OEMs (in this case Compaq)
- "On the OEM side I am thinking of putting hitting the OEM harder than in the past with anti Linux actions" <-- quote says it all

This is from the information released to the public. On top of all this, a ton of other evidence used in this case is confidential. I guess somehow in American justice system it's possible to hide really damaging evidence.

bruce89
February 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't trust anything from that site.

handy
February 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
I think a little better of Intel than I did before I read that.

Thanks for posting it.

Giant Speck
February 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't trust anything from that site.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/216785.gif

billgoldberg
February 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
I don't know if this is posted here before, but I found it rather interesting:

http://boycottnovell.com/2009/01/30/microsoft-intel-anti-linux/

This gives you an idea of how the upper management in Microsoft viewed or attack Linux.

Executive summary:
- This is based on evidence gathered during the Iowa vs Microsoft anti-trust case, a case where they eventually settled for something like $500 million dollars in cash.
- Bill Gates uses the word "jihad" to describe the companies activities against Linux.
- E-mails between upper management in the company suggest they are trying to push Intel away from supporting or investing in Linux (
- E-mails between upper management suggest that Microsoft has plants in OEMs (in this case Compaq)
- "On the OEM side I am thinking of putting hitting the OEM harder than in the past with anti Linux actions" <-- quote says it all

This is from the information released to the public. On top of all this, a ton of other evidence used in this case is confidential. I guess somehow in American justice system it's possible to hide really damaging evidence.

Website/Wordpress fail.

handy
February 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
So you guys think that that info' was in reality posted by Intel? :lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
February 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I doubt it, I really dont think Intel would do much anyhow as they seem to be turning in our favor slowly but surely.

speedwell68
February 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Website/Wordpress fail.

Indeed.:D

Haven't read it, but from the title of the website I very much doubt any views or information given there will be at all impartial.

3rdalbum
February 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM
Microsoft.com spreads less unfounded FUD than BoycottNovell.com. Did you know that George Orwell used to write a monthly list of people who he thought were communists, and kept sending these lists to the British government? Well, BoycottNovell.com does something similar (http://209.85.175.132/search?q=cache:I0iWpnf9-oMJ:boycottnovell.com/credibility-index/+boycott+novell+credibility+index&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1).

Google cache used because BN can't use MySQL properly :-P

handy
February 1st, 2009, 01:38 PM
George Orwell proved his sincerity by taking himself off to fight against Fascism in the Spanish Civil War. Which, from what I have read, certainly would have been a complicated environment to be in.

x33a
February 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
The title of the article is suspicious itself. and, i believe no matter how much we hate microsoft, bill gates as a human is a good person.

sdowney717
February 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
WordPress database error: [Table 'boycottn_wrdp2.wp_users' doesn't exist]
SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '2' LIMIT 1

lousy site is unusable

Mason Whitaker
February 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Eh, the validity of the site is very questionable, they don't seem to give alot of sources...

Did you know that George Orwell used to write a monthly list of people who he thought were communists, and kept sending these lists to the British government?1984 wasn't meant to be an instruction manual :P

mamamia88
February 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
i think microsoft views linux as a good thing. people who decide to use linux instead of buying a mac based on price will most likely buy a windows machine to install it on and they make money even if you don't use it

tom66
February 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Next time I get a computer, I'll get one with Windows on it and ask for a refund on Windows... save about $50 on the license for Windows.

Skripka
February 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Website/Wordpress fail.

Damn....That site really is awful...what'd they do, do the coding on the back of an airplane napkin?

Sealbhach
February 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
This kind of thing doesn't help.

Johnsie
February 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM
Yay, more hate-filled anti-microsoft propoganda. The ugly side of the Linux community rears its head yet again. If you don't like Microsoft then simply don't use their stuff. There's no point letting youself get all upset and then spending your time whinging and posting about it on the Ubuntu forums. What will that achieve? Nothing. Instead you should be making Ubuntu better. Head over to launchpad and sumbit some bugs or something.

Dry your eyes and do something constructive with your time.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yay, more hate-filled anti-microsoft propoganda. The ugly side of the Linux community rears its head yet again. If you don't like Microsoft then simply don't use their stuff. There's no point letting youself get all upset and then spending your time whinging and posting about it on the Ubuntu forums. What will that achieve? Nothing. Instead you should be making Ubuntu better. Head over to launchpad and sumbit some bugs or something.

Dry your eyes and do something constructive with your time.

+1

...And please stop moaning about logos that vaguely resemble circles of people.

cardinals_fan
February 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM
If Microsoft has descended to getting their strategic information from CNet, maybe Windows' days are numbered ;)

Skripka
February 2nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
If Microsoft has descended to getting their strategic information from CNet, maybe Windows' days are numbered ;)

I thought CNet was a division of Microsoft????

cardinals_fan
February 2nd, 2009, 01:03 AM
I thought CNet was a division of Microsoft????
CNet == CBS

Skripka
February 2nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
CNet == CBS

We need sarcasm markups ;)

cardinals_fan
February 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
We need sarcasm markups ;)
I figured, but a little more info never hurts :)